5 Great Camping and Hiking Safety Tips

5 Great Camping and Hiking Safety Tips

Safety Tips For A Successful Hike

21
5 Great Camping and Hiking Safety Tips

Hiking is a great low-impact workout. It is fun and a great outdoor activity. From relieving stress to preventing osteoporosis, hiking provides a myriad of health benefits. It is safe but at the same time, you are also far away from people. And you might face some challenges during your hike. If you preparing to set off for your a hike, you've landed in the right place. In this post, we will share a few camping and hiking safety tips that will help you make the most of your experience.

Never Go Alone

Well, this may not be possible every time but it is an important tip. If you've chosen a popular trail for your hike, then you do not need to worry. However, you should never get out of the usual trail if you are not familiar with the area. There are chances that you might get lost. Therefore, it is a great idea to have a hiking partner and he should have more experience than you do. And if need arises, you can help each other.

Know Where You're Going

Gather as much information as you can about the area where you are going. Local people will be able to provide you valuable information. It is important that someone, who is not with you on the hike, knows about where you're going and what time to call for help. Always stay on well-traveled trail. Carrying an emergency device would be very helpful as well. A GPS, compass, or a map would help a great deal if you get lost on your way.

Bring only the gear that you need

It doesn't matter how big your backpack is, you should only bring the gear you need. Take time to plan the list of items you need to bring along. Carrying too much stuff in your backpack will do you no good. Besides, a lighter backpack is essential for a successful hike. You should pack the essentials like a lighter, knife, first-aid kit, navigation etc. You may also consider bringing skin lotions and weather-specific clothing.

Take with you enough liquids and food

Water is very important when you go out for camping and hiking. Even if you are planning for a short hike, it is important that you carry enough liquids with you. Water is a life saver when you are exposed to heat for a long period of time. Also, you should take with you enough food. There should be one pound of food for an average male for one day. Another great option would be carry energy bars. That way you can increase caloric intake without having to carry extra weight.

Use Common Sense

It is always dumb things that get people in trouble. Do not act stupid. Be smart about your decisions. Do not take risks especially when you are not familiar with the terrain. And there is this one simple rule that you should always remember, when in doubt, don't!