Calling All Men Against Rape and Sexual Violence

IFC to implement a new program to combat sexual assault on campus.

12

"Consent! Oh consent!" the famous lines from the musical "Welcome to College" that every Indiana University freshman heard at one point or another. We all thought it was funny, whether we like to admit it or not. But who honestly remembered it after their first week in college? 

It doesn't take an expert to know that sexual assault is one of the biggest issues permeating the public discourse surrounding college campuses across America. As this problem has gained momentum over the years regarding the number of assaults on campuses, it's all too easy for this issue to be misrepresented in popular media, such that it becomes white noise. 

Whether you're an avid feminist against rape culture, an opposer of White House college rape statistics or outraged about instances such as the recent UVA rape scandal, one thing remains constant: Sexual assault will continue to claim victims if tangible action does not take place. 

This is why MARS (Men Against Rape and Sexual Violence), an Interfraternity Council (IFC) chapter program, has been newly implemented as a vehicle for meaningful action. MARS Director Bill Phan has a vision for the program that entails training men "to be resources in their chapters when it comes to issues regarding sexual assault, alcohol/drug abuse and mental health." 

For this program to ultimately have lasting success, Phan said that he would prefer at least one man from every chapter at IU to be knowledgable in bystander prevention, know how to effectively utilize IU's resources and be confident in handling assault situations. MARS will operate similarly to the Safe Sister program, and will work extensively with not only that organization, but the Counseling and Psychological Services, Sexual Assault Crisis Center and the Office of Alternative Screening and Intervention Services to put on useful programming to shed new perspectives on the issue and figure out how to truly combat it. 

Phan recognizes that although sexual assault disproportionately exists in Greek Life, IU, for better or worse, is also known for its intense party culture in general. Sexual assault becomes more prevalent when alcohol is involved anywhere, so he wants to expand MARS outside of IFC to more facets of IU's campus to become a "community to raise awareness as well as be a resource to all." Eventually, if the program becomes successful enough, there is talk of possibly reaching out to other Big Ten schools in efforts to expand the momentum of the cause. 

Lawmakers, university officials and law enforcements everywhere are in disagreement as to how to effectively combat sexual assault on college campuses. The MARS program, Phan said, is one in which he hopes "men will be extremely proud to be a part of." The goal is not for the university to senselessly shove facts down student's throats, but rather to inspire a culture of accountability, where everyone looks out for each other. By planting a seed in new member education programs and having chapters on campus assent to give and receive sexual permission, MARS aims can create a safe environment where we can have intelligent conversations about the subject to solve the problem. 

If you would also like to be a part of the solution, take some time to email ifcmars@gmail.com for a short application.