Call Your Mom, And Other Lessons From My First College Semester

Call Your Mom As Often As Possible And 6 Other Lessons You Can Learn From My First College Semester

I've learned a lot this semester, both in class and out.

85
https://www.facebook.com/ElonUniversity/photos/a.10156463438929342/10156463439369342/?type=3&theater

It feels like just yesterday that I was sitting in the back of the family rental van, loaded floor to ceiling with boxes and bags, on my way to move-in day. My first college semester has flown by. Tackling college life has been hectic at times but has taught me more about myself and others than I ever expected. Here are seven key lessons from my first few months as a college student.

1. It's okay to leave high school behind.

Coming home from college for the first time became a case of deja vu. Things which had been so essential to my identity just months before, like my varsity letters or photos of my friends, felt like distant memories. That's okay with me. I'm not just redefining who I was in high school, but I'm defining who I want to become.

2. Roommates can be the greatest gift.

My roommate and I were matched randomly, which most people find hard to believe. Before I met her, I wasn't expecting to like sharing my space with someone else, let alone be friends. But the stars aligned, and we hit it off almost immediately. Now, I miss her when she's spending the night away. She was my first friend here. Now, she's one of my best friends. If you haven't thanked your roommate yet for all the laughs and late-night ice cream runs, it's time to do so.

3. What you study in college should be what makes you happy. 

How much time are you willing to dedicate to a subject that doesn't interest you? If your major becomes your career, are you willing to sacrifice passion for income? I had to ask myself these two questions while drafting a 4-year graduation plan. Although I considered several options, my heart is in writing and communications. I stuck to my gut, and am excited about my major and minors, just as it should be.

4. Give yourself time to procrastinate.

https://www.stocksy.com/435983/woman-working-on-her-laptop

Okay, hear me out: this is my number one study tip. There will be days when your schedule is packed, or the time simply runs away from you. Unfortunately, one of those days might come right before a project is due. Don't wait till the last minute to start working on assignments. Instead, complete them as far in advance as possible, so when that day comes where you simply can't get anything done, you're already ahead of the game.

5. Call your mom.

My mom was right about everything. Becuase of her, I know how to do my laundry the right way, and I know what to do when I'm sick. The least I can do is give her a weekly phone call.

6. Stick to two or three, then let it be.

One of the best things about my school is that there are over 200 clubs and organizations, which means over 200 chances to get involved. But if you spread yourself a mile wide and an inch deep, you're doing both yourself and the organization a disservice. I'm part of two student media organizations, a professional society, and the yoga club, which is more than enough for me. If you're struggling to find time for all your organizations, try cutting down next semester to the ones which really interest you. I promise that you'll get more out of dedicating yourself to three clubs than you would rushing between 12.

7. Don't turn down opportunities.

Picture your comfort zone: a perfect circle wrapped tightly around you. There's no room for you to move or grow if you don't expand those boundaries outward. College has given me many opportunities to push myself, mostly by saying yes and taking chances.