A Call To Action In The Aftermath Of Domestic Terrorism

I am tired of the NRA lining the pockets of politicians while bloodshed is lining the streets.

85
Pic query

As if I thought my heart couldn't handle enough sorrow of what is happening each and every day in our world, it only continues to worsen.

The recent killings, shootings, and acts of violence seem to only increase as my hope for a better future diminishes. It is a harsh truth but it is a reality. It makes me question if I should live in fear; if I would ever want to raise children in a world where you cannot go to a movie theater, simply take your child to school, or even attend a concert.

Or do I fight back and do something about these devastating acts?

We continue to divide as a nation and only seem to reunite in these brief moments of affliction, with nothing being solved. In times like these, we offer our thoughts and prayers to the victims of these senseless acts of violence but we need to reevaluate what can actually be done to best prevent these tragedies from occurring.

Now I will briefly step on my soapbox because I know what some of you may be thinking. Just to put it out there, no, I am not an anti-second amendment and I do not want to take away your guns from you - I will stop you right there.

The Second Amendment to our Constitution goes as follows: "A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Alright, understandable. How does this still apply 226 years later?

A handgun for protection? Sure, sensible.

A hunting rifle for hunting game? Okay, reasonable.

An automatic military style weapon? What on Earth would you need that for?

I will let you be the one to decide that.

I presume that they should at least be in the right hands. I do believe we need common sense reforms to the mental health system, background checks to purchase weapons, continuous firearm training, and protocols so that firearms are not as easily accessible (in some states you can buy guns right at your local flea market, how legitimate is that?).

Also, I understand that criminals will break the law.

Criminals could find other ways to obtain guns. Laws are broken every day. People still drink and drive and that is against the law, but police still do checkpoints.

Bottom line is: what is so wrong in attempting gun-control?

The possibility of these policies being beneficial to help save lives?

Would it really hurt to at least try?

It is to prevent harmful actions against innocent people. Someone needs to set the precedent and that someone is our government.

They say we need to stop pointing fingers at each other, and while I agree, I will still take a stand to point my finger at YOU, Congress.

Yes, YOU.

I could continue to go on and on about what we should do and how to do it but I am tired.

I am tired some of our Congress members are not listening to the cries of people who have personally lost a loved one.

I am tired of having to have these debates while people are ignoring the fact actual people are being slaughtered.

When will an American life be valued against domestic terrorism and an attempt to stop allowing these horrifying acts to happen? When is enough going to be enough?

Because I am tired. I am sick to my stomach. I am afraid to turn on the news and feel helpless for those poor souls. I call on Congress to do something about this issue NOW. Please restore my faith in America.

"I can't believe the news today
Oh, I can't close my eyes
And make it go away
How long
How long must we sing this song
How long, how long
'Cause tonight, we can be as one
Tonight"
-U2