Summer California Trip

5 Of The Best Stops on California's Highway 1

This summer, pile in the car and experience California with your family and friends like never before!

142
https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1524553247499-03681018db0a?ixlib=rb-0.3.5&ixid=eyJhcHBfaWQiOjEyMDd9&s=2bac19c28128da16cd5f40e7e859a2c4&auto=format&fit=crop&w=1567&q=80

Road trips are a fun way to spend the summer and get away for a bit. Road trips not only provide endless hours of conversation and self-reflection, but they also offer the opportunity to see some amazing sites. When it comes to quality road trips the Pacific Coast Highway (Highway 1) can't be beat!

Highway 1 stretches over 650 miles of gorgeous California coastline. The trail starts in Northern California on the Oregon border and winds its way down to sunny San Diego. Pit stops along the highway include a series of quaint beach towns meshed with several larger metro areas. There are also stretches of sheer wilderness and stunning scenery that serves as wilderness therapy for anyone in need. The trip is likely to provide something for everyone, but here are a few sites and stops you won't want to miss:

1. Big Sur

After eating a hearty breakfast and going full swing you'll hit Big Sur about three hours into your road trip. This tourist trap offers stunning scenery, quaint cafes and great photo opportunities. As you enter the area you'll see a series of vista points created for photos of this magnificent view. The vista approaching Bixby Bridge is one of the more famous stops capturing the bridge, rugged cliffs and powerful ocean waves in one snapshot. Big Sur also offers a variety of local cafes and restaurants where you can grab a bite and stretch your legs. Sierra Mar is ritzy, but popular. It offers stunning waterside views and a pricey menu. For a more low-key option try Nepenthe or Cafe Kevah.

2. San Simeon

This artsy stop offers an opportunity to explore the infamous Hearst Castle as well as engage in some wildlife observation. The castle is nestled on the Enchanted Hill and boasts over 250,000 acres of cottages and castle rooms. You'll also appreciate the well-kept landscape and stunning gardens. San Simeon is also home to the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery. Over 15,000 seals migrate to the beach every year and tourists and locals love to watch them play and bathe along the shore. The viewing platform offers great photo opportunities and fun for people of all ages.

3. Malibu

Malibu offers some of the most gorgeous beach fronts in the country. The area spans over 15 miles of famous state beaches and also boasts a series of super healthy restaurants and cafes. If you don't have time to explore the inland of Malibu, you'll want to check out Point Dume at the very least. You'll find sandy beaches and powerful coastline cliffs. You'll want to leave Malibu through Topanga Canyon which offers one last peek at the gorgeous San Fernando Valley.

4. Los Angeles

Even if you're more into the nature element of this drive, Los Angeles is a must-do when exploring the Pacific Coast Highway. You can still get a wilderness reprieve in this famous metropolis. Griffith Observatory offers stunning views of the city and a great snapshot of the infamous Hollywood sign. Other highlights of the city include the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Universal Studios.

5. San Diego

The end of the Pacific Coast Highway lands in sunny San Diego which offers a solid mix of scenic landscapes and city bustle. Nature lovers can visit the La Jolla caves just north of the city. The caves can be explored by kayak and adventurers will enjoy mingling with the cave seals and the infamous tiger sharks. Mission Beach and Coronado Island are also popular tourist destinations. Enjoy food truck tacos or a drink inside one of the many beachfront cafes. San Diego offers a dose of relaxation and activity and is the perfect way to end your road trip.

All in all Highway 1 should land a spot on any bucket list. The winding roads and metro reprieves offer the perfect balance of wilderness and wonder. Next time you're planning a road trip vacation, consider exploring the Pacific Coast Highway and all its offerings!