When Cali Comes Back to Jersey

When Cali Comes Back to Jersey

What a Surprise

10
When Cali Comes Back to Jersey
Jake Sacher

I'll start this story by letting you know that I am very hard to make plans with because I tend to forget about other obligations such as doctor's appointments. So times get shifted around.

It's Monday morning,12pm, and I wanted to do something before work; so I did what any 19 year old would do when they want a thrill and went food shopping at Trader Joe's. I had a great time exploring the store because that is how easy I am to please. I got home decided to make today a good one by starting it off with a yummy breakfast, technically lunch. I made myself a gluten free english muffin and had some almond butter on it with a glass of milk. I then rushed to work to make it by 3pm.

While at work I realized that my plans with a good friend named Renna for Tuesday would need to be pushed to an early time since I had a doctors appointment at noon, which was the same time we were supposed to go to Panera. So we made plans for breakfast Tuesday morning. Then we made more plans to go to the gym after I got out of work at 6pm. So 7:00 comes around and Renna and another friend Becca meet my sister and I at the gym and we get our workout going. Once we are sweaty and gross we decide to grab some Qdoba and chill at my house.

While we were eating Renna informed me that there would be two people coming to my house and that it was a surprise. I just said ok with little thought. Maybe it was my boyfriend with flowers and a pet cow… a girl can dream. Eventually, Renna tells me to go to the front door, and then I started to get scared. When I opened my door I gasped as my mind couldn't process what was going on. I opened the door and there she was! My cali sunshine aka Allyssa was standing there at the bottom of my stairs. I ran down my stairs so fast I felt like I was going to fall and didn't care. Everyone thought it was cute and then realized I was crying.

Here is a little back story. I have lots of amazing friends that have changed me for the better, so anyone reading this don’t feel unloved. Allyssa and I first started to get to know each other in gym class. We bonded over the fact that she moved here from Cali and at that point I was facing the possibility of moving to Florida. Long story short I ended up with great friends and we called ourselves Kore 4. We all became very close and would go out and do photoshoots every Saturday no matter the weather. This little group changed me for the better and I have them to thank for where I am now.

One day I was greeted with some not so happy news. I found out Allyssa was moving back to Cali and that I only had the rest of the year. I broke down in tears and the four of us ended up in guidance so I could cry without people watching me. In that office we used the wipe board to plan out each month and all the things we would accomplish. Not a moment was wasted and every moment was photographed. Eventually the day came that Allyssa and her family left to go back to Cali, a bunch of friends and I all waved goodbye as their minivan drove away. When I got home I thought about lots of things. What will I do on Saturdays? How will I keep in contact? The hardest question of all was, will I ever see her again? I really believed the answer to that was ‘no’.

So now you know a little bit of why I immediately started crying. I cried about seven times within two minutes. All I could think about is how much I missed her and how happy I was to see her again! Turns out she was supposed to surprise me at the Panera at noon on Tuesday and that her and Renna had been planning this for a long time but I kept unintentionally messing it up. I canceled the appointment and went to lunch with them anyway and Allyssa surprised Lori, another member of Kore 4. We then proceeded to the red wall to do some photoshoots.

This has been an amazing few days and i'm so happy that it happened. I love you Ally and I love all of my friends who have never stopped supporting me and loving me.