Cake Pop Chaos

Cake Pop Chaos

What a pleasurable experience it is to be able to attend a cake pop class!

14
Cake Pop Chaos

Going to a cake pop class gives you the same feeling as laying down after a long day at work with a glass of wine: satisfying and relaxing. On November 12th, a bakery named Fairy Cakes Cupcakery located in Buffalo, NY held a very welcoming cake pop class.

For those who are not aware of what a cake pop is, the Oxford Dictionary defined it as “A small round piece of cake coated with icing or chocolate and fixed on the end of a stick so as to resemble a lollipop.” These delicious desserts can be found at any bakery that sells cake products, and can even be found in coffee shops like Starbucks. While they can be expensive if bought individually, the bakery generously gave you 12 cake pops for the low cost of $30. Not only did you receive this amazing offer, but you got to decorate your own cake pops! This was a fantastic event that people of all ages had the pleasure of experiencing.

When you walked into the bakery the first thing you noticed were small circle tables with different types of edible candies on them, along with multiple colors of liquid candy. You chose where you sat, and you signed in with the instructor of the class, Rosalie Viola. Sitting at the table with all of the crafts around you brought you back to a time and memory of being young and sitting with your friends at school; a time where you were able to socialize and have fun by doing arts & crafts at the same time. After a few minutes went by, more people started to filter into the room and the tables started filling up. Viola went right into instructing us on how to start decorating the cake pops. She went to each table, handing each person a bag of 12 cake balls. Each cake ball looked raw and not ready to decorate. Patty McClain, a Buffalo resident who attended the event, looked very confused at the sight of the cake balls.

“I thought to myself, how are we supposed to decorate these when they are not baked yet,” McClain asked. Voila went on to assure us that even though the cake pop looked raw before it was decorated, you would see that once you bit into it, the consistency would be just like any other cake. She was right.

Viola went on to show us multiple designs to make the cake pops stand out for this Autumn season. She showed us how to create a pumpkin, an apple, and many other intricate designs that included fall colors. While she was there to help anyone that needed it, Viola left a majority of class time dedicated to a more hands-on experience for the guests. This gave guests plenty of time to socialize and get to know each other while decorating their desserts.

Buffalo resident Mary Egan attended the event with McClain. “I’m not really a crafty person,” stated Egan. “So I am hoping decorating these cake pops will show my grandkids I did something creative.” Many people at the event had the same idea. A lot of people planned on taking the desserts they decorated home to show their families, and share the deliciousness they offered. McClain even stated, “I was hoping I could freeze the cake pops all the way until Thanksgiving. It would be an awesome treat to share with my family for the holidays.” Who knew cake pops would be such a hit for a holiday treat?

While decorating the cake pops was an amazing experience, there were times that the mission was frustrating. You would let the cake pops soak in the liquid candy to give it a hard icing coating after it dried. However, if the candy was too thick in consistency, your cake pop would fall off of the stick into the icing. Many people were frustrated by these setbacks, but Viola had some kind words to share with the guests to keep them motivated. “It is okay to mess up,” she stated. “It just makes it that much better when you finally do it right.” Again, Viola’s insight was correct. Many people messed up on their first try, but by the end of the class a lot of the cake pops looked like they were professionally done.

This cake pop class was more than just a class. It was an event that brought people of all different backgrounds and ages together. While everyone was decorating, they were also socializing with each other, laughing, and just enjoying the time at the bakery. Fairy Cakes Cupcakery and Rosalie Viola did an amazing job with not just hosting an educational cake class, but bringing people together to create unforgettable memories.