Caitlyn Jenner: Is She or Isn't She Courageous?

Discussing Caitlyn Jenner and why no one should feel they have the right to decide whether the acts of Caitlyn Jenner's public transition are examples of courage in comparison to others.

16
lovebscott.com

I recognize that I am several weeks late in addressing this topic, but people are STILL finding ways to talk about it on social media, thus it’s still appropriate to weigh in, in my opinion. I have seen one too many poorly written, poorly researched, uninformed, and down-right thoughtless pieces written on this matter from all over the internet, including this very platform.

Being an opinion piece, anyone has full right to disagree with me – I am no expert on the matter, and you, just as I, are entitled to your own opinion. However, here is the matter of fact – anyone who is comparing or discrediting Caitlyn Jenner’s bravery or courage based on that of another brave or courageous individual on our planet (most popularly American soldiers), is an idiot and should sit the f*ck down immediately. Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion – your wrong opinion.

Here is why:

First and foremost, unless you have personally experienced the world through the eyes of a transgendered person, and lived through the daily struggle it must be to feel validated in your gender identity in a world where you have to spend your days validating it to others – YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO SPEAK ON IT. Now, you may be asking yourself, then why are you, Nick, speaking on it? Good question. Why I feel the need to speak on it is because I am not weighing in on whether or not I feel Caitlyn Jenner is courageous, but rather telling every person who does feel the need to express their perspective just how misplaced that sense of entitlement is.

You will never understand the transgender experience unless you are transgender; therefore you cannot deem whether the level of courage it takes to own your identity, on an extremely public platform no less, can compare to that of other courageous experiences you may or may not have a personal identification with.

My second point is a rather simple one: how can one go about making a comparison about courage in the first place? Is there some scale I seem to be unaware of that can help determine which acts hold more value over that of others? If so – please direct me to it and I will eat my words, but as far as I am aware, there isn’t. Therefore, you, nor I, have any right to make a judgment call on the courage one person possessed doing something over another, so stop acting like we do.

There are so many amazing ways we as people express courage in this strange world we live in. For the sake of argument I am going to utilize the American solider example, seeing as that is the most popular method of discrediting Caitlyn. Would you not classify a child battling cancer courageous? Or a woman who found the inner strength to leave an abusive relationship – is that not considered an act of courage? What about a drug addict, who has decided to seek help for their addiction – personally I find that to be an extremely courageous act. Would you then turn to each of these people, look them directly in the eye, and tell them, “Oh, well, you’re doing great, yeah, but those American soldiers…” – no, you wouldn’t. So then why would one feel entitled to do that with Caitlyn Jenner’s experience? Is it because the transgender experience is not a widely accepted idea? Personal bigotry? Ignorance? I too would like an answer for why people think that is okay.

My point is, bravery comes in many forms, each one as valid as the next, and each one deserving to be celebrated. There are too many negative things that occur on this planet everyday to be focusing on tearing down what positive experiences we are granted. Food for thought.