By Design

In my last article I mentioned fear and how it grips our lives. Well… approaching my last semester of undergraduate I am very afraid! Although, I try to cover it up… I’m shaking in my boots. For all those who are either alumni or “soon-to-be”, you know the sense of uncertainty that accompanies closing such a large chapter of your life.

The fact of the matter is change is scary… it’s both extremely uncomfortable and one of the only constant and inevitable facets of life. With each new day is a possibility of change and whether big or small, change will always demand a response.

So what kind of response will you give? As I’m typing I’m forced to confront my own fears. In addressing such I must admit that my response has to be faith. Faith trumps fear always. Now let me first admit it is a process sometimes, for although it may appear “easier said than done” Luke 18:27 is very clear “what is impossible with man is possible with God”. So please, let that sink in and work as a sigh of relief.

Whew, how sweet is it to know that all is possible, and it isn’t through your own strength or merit (for we all know that sometimes our performance can be subpar). However, your identity is not affirmed by your performance nor ability.*Taking a trip back to an article I wrote two weeks ago entitled “SOUL FOOD”, I’ve been working on being more intentional on what I read, what I listen to and watch. With this being said Friday night I stumbled across a video of Mariah Houghton speaking at youth conference. She spoke from Jeremiah 1 which highlights an interesting encounter between Jerimiah and God.

“Before I shaped you in the womb,

I knew all about you.

Before you saw the light of day,

I had holy plans for you: …

that’s what I had in mind for you.

……

But I said, “Hold it, Master God! Look at me.

I don’t know anything, I’m only a boy!

God told me, “Don’t say, ‘I’m only a boy.’

I’ll tell you where to go and you’ll go there.

I’ll tell you what to say and you’ll say it.

Don’t be afraid of a soul. I’ll be right there, looking after you” (Jeremiah 1:5-10) Message.

Each and every time I read this my spirit leaps with excitement and oddly to some “By design” by Kid Cudi comes to mind (hence the title). Now beyond my love for his creativity and honesty there are a few specific lines in this song that fuels me beyond my spouts of fear.

“Moments don’t pass me up, no, no

‘cause I seize them in stride.

Tell them winnin’ never gave me in

When I eternally have faith”- Kid Cudi.

Faith ladies and gentlemen, and only FAITH trumps fear every trip. For when you feel the call on your life rising (and if you haven’t just yet, stay tuned for it will. We all have a purpose that is far greater than our own “intuition”, desires, hopes, and dreams”) I pray you choose to faith in the pursuit of such, rather than allowing fear to rob you of your chance.

Remember Jeremiah and the encounter he had with God, and when change arises don’t allow your age, experience, self-doubt, childhood or any other factor cause you to count yourself out of the running. Learn to grow through change rather than shrink back (pursue faith to faith, glory to glory).

In stride accomplish all, listen and always remind yourself that you designed for such a time as this. To shine for such a time as this. Regardless of what change may suggest, the essence of who you are is soundly rooted in good soil. May you grow and flourish always.