9Things to Know While You Choose to Buy Indoor Plants Online!

Buy Indoor Plants Online

6

Buying indoor plants online is a great way to add a bit of greenery and life to your home. No matter what you’re looking for, be it a large fiddle leaf fig tree or a small succulent, you can find it online. It’s important to remember, however, that buying plants online can carry its own set of risks. Here are 9 tips to help you choose the buy indoor plants online and make a safe purchase online:

Things to know:

1. Check Shipping and Return Policies:

Before you make a purchase, be sure to check both the shipping and return policies. Generally, most plants, including young seedlings and potted plants, can only be safely shipped after a period of dormancy. If a company is offering to ship immediately, buyer beware. Additionally, since plants can be unpredictable and finicky, try to make sure you have some way of returning them if the need arises.

2. Know what You’re Getting:

When you’re buying plants online, it can be difficult to tell exactly what you’re getting. Photos may be deceiving too. Be sure to read descriptions carefully, and if the plant is still young, be aware that it won’t grow to its full potential for a few months, at least.

3. Beware of Bargain Plants:

It’s tempting to buy bargain indoor plants online, but be wary. With any purchase, you get what you pay for, and that’s especially true when it comes to plants. In some cases, the bargain plants may have been negligently cared for by the seller, so they may not have the best presentation. In others, they may have been harvested before they were fully mature.

4. Buy from Professional or Reputable Suppliers

When buying online indoor plants under 200, the price might not always be the best indicator of the quality of the plant. Check for reviews on the plant’s supplier, and make sure that they are a legitimate, professional provider.

5. Consider the Plant’s Needs

When you’re buying indoor plants online, look at the requirements of the specific varieties you’re considering in terms of soil, light and water. Make sure they are suited to your home, otherwise you could find yourself disappointed and frustrated that the plant isn’t thriving.

6. Buy Appropriate Sized Containers

Be sure to check the size of the container the plant comes in, especially if you plan to move it after purchase. Some plants, especially those grown in pots or baskets, will eventually require repotting. Make sure the container is big enough to accommodate the long-term growth of the plant, or plan to repot it soon after purchase.

7. Don’t Overwater

Overwatering is one of the biggest killers of indoor plants, so be sure to check the online seller’s instructions for water and humidity requirements for your specific plant, and stick to them.

8. Check for Pests and Disease

When buying online, be sure to check images of the plant for any signs of infestation, disease or damage. It’s also important to check for any environmental problems that the plant may have encountered during shipping.

9. Ask Questions

If you’re not sure about something before you make a purchase, don’t hesitate to ask questions. Most reputable online sellers will be more than happy to answer any of your queries.

Buying indoor plants online is a great way to add a bit of greenery to your home, but it comes with its own set of risks. By following these 9 tips, however, you can make sure that you’re making a safe purchase and getting just the right live plants online for your home.