Now that the school year is in full swing, I can say that my life has never been busier. Juggling school, extracurriculars, jobs, etc. it can be really hard to just step back and take a much-needed break.

In college, there is this unspoken assumption that busyness means that you are a thriving, social, and healthy individual. More often than not, people, including myself, are eager to rattle off to their friends how many things they have going on in their life. While at face value this seems great, truthfully it's not always a walk in the park.

Busyness can be toxic. It can be used to fill voids of loneliness; it can be used to distract us from real problems that are occurring in our lives. While being active can be therapeutic and healing at times, it is easy for that line between being busy and being overwhelming to become blurred.

In order for this line to be clear in your life, be wise about what you fill your time with. Make sure you are filling it with things that you love to do, rather than things that you are not truly passionate about. In addition to this, put up boundaries as to how much time you spend towards something. Do not let it impose on schoolwork or self-care time.

The most important way to keep yourself from being overwhelmed is to block out specific times in your schedule to take a break. This looks different for everyone. For some, it could be unplugging from the world and taking a nap. For others, it could be going to the gym or going on a hike. For me personally, I love to unwind by reading a book or watching a movie or going for a walk by myself. Whatever it may be for you, make sure that this is your top priority.

Taking a break from life is surprisingly relaxing. At first, it may seem like you are wasting precious time to get work done but in the end, it is worth it. It is a more productive use of your time to be well rested and relaxed before tackling your busy schedule rather than being tired all the time.

This is something that I am DEFINITELY trying to work on this year. Even though I do not succeed all the time, I really do value the quiet moments that I can take for myself. I hope that you will challenge yourself to take a break from life and press pause once in a while.