Business School Survival Guide

Business School Survival Guide

21
Business School Survival Guide

For those of you who have just gained admission to Kenan-Flagler Business School or are interested in pursuing business, here’s a little survival guide that may be helpful. Whether you are majoring in business, or just taking a few business classes to supplement your coursework, these tips will help you plan out your next few semesters.

1.       Take Corporate Finance as soon as you can

Corporate Finance (Busi 408 - Snively) is pretty much the foundation of business and will help you tremendously for internship interviews. The class will teach you how to invest money, how to analyze financial statements and how to understand and conceptualize the financial industry as a whole.  On top of that, you will see how to analyze stocks and bonds. The class applies outside of a corporate finance job and is a valuable tool to have coming out of college.

2.       Things move fast

If you are at the business school Monday-Thursday, you will be greeted with CNBC playing on every TV, a crowded cafeteria full of students trying to get food before their next class and a study area where many interviews take place.  The fact of the matter is that in business, trying to get a job is exciting but also stressful.  In order to stay ahead of the pack, you should be prepared to work hard on assignments and experience as much as you can while at the school.

3.       Study/Intern Abroad

Last summer, I studied abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark at the Copenhagen Business School, and it was one of the most incredible experiences I’ve ever had.  While studying, I also traveled across Europe, including a small German town where my grandfather was from.  I strongly encourage you all to study abroad and go somewhere that you have an interest in.  You will be assimilated in a culture and get to study in an environment you can’t even imagine.  Also, you will have the opportunity to experience something outside of your comfort zone; something that is invaluable and you can’t learn in a classroom.

4.       Take classes that interest you

Do not blindly sign up for classes that you know will not be interesting.  Although there are some required courses, it is a good idea to take classes that interest you or are classes that may pertain to the internship/job you may want to apply for next summer.  Many of these classes are in the form of MODs-classes that are 1.5 hours and are only half of the semester.  These classes are more specific such as Personal Finance or Real Estate Development and will provide useful knowledge.