Business Meets Pleasure

Business Meets Pleasure

Effects of vlogging on YouTubers' personal lives.

32
Business Meets Pleasure
YouTube - Brianarae Channel

As a population unaccustomed to a life of extreme glam and grandeur, it is sometimes easier for us to relate to stars who are more like ourselves—who go to the grocery store themselves, go through trial and error to figure out inexpensive life hacks and are familiar with bad, hoodie-wearing hair days. Many of these unique YouTube personalities we subscribe to volunteer to live their lives in the public eye in order to provide entertainment to fans worldwide. While filming themselves and their days may be fun and exciting at first, there comes a time when all the camera action and all the “doing” becomes too much for these enthusiastic stars, specifically the ones who produce daily vlogs.

According to one vlogger, the routine of a daily vlogger usually goes something like this: they film during the day, watch through the tape and edit that night, then post the video the next morning for viewers. As you can imagine, this kind of daily routine, is not an easy one to follow, even for vloggers who post at least three times a week.

Most vloggers would agree that apart from the stress of their work routines, vlogging about their personal life definitely takes a toll on them. One vlogger mentioned the pressure of having to make her daily life “fun” for fans. In order to do this, she would make plans with people and try to go out, even when she just felt like being at home and having her day to herself. For those of us who own any social media at all, we can truly relate to this type of pressure—the pressure to present our lives as being fun, interesting, and exotic, even.

On top of making their lives appear fun, vloggers, during their editing portion, snip here and there to edit away the “boring” parts from their daily vlog in order to release the most beautiful 15 minutes or half an hour you ever did see. And though we all know no one’s life is perfect, I totally understand their need to present the best to viewers. It’s just human nature to put the best outside!

These kinds of pressures become dangerous when vloggers begin to feel like they are trying too hard to produce a video and are forcing vlogs instead of things naturally occurring.

Recently, breaking the hearts of many, a young YouTube couple, Jeana Smith and Jesse Wellens announced their break from vlogging and from their 10-year relationship, at least half of which was spent vlogging daily. The BFvsGF and PrankvsPrank stars started off having a wonderful relationship. They were extremely in love and they enjoyed sharing their daily activities with their small group of followers. As they gained momentum, however, and subscribers skyrocketed, Smith and Wellens’ relationship began to take a downward spiral. “When it gets to a point where it starts to feel like a job, and you’re not doing things because you love the person, you’re doing them for a vlog, that puts a huge burden on the relationship,” Wellens said.

The relationship they once loved had became more of a business than a relationship. They found themselves forced to spend every waking moment together because their relationship had also become their careers and their well-being. “The weight of our relationship is the weight of our careers, it’s the weight of our whole lives, and that pressure is not good for a relationship,” Wellens said. They also admitted that they would some days stifle their relationship issues in order to get their work done and keep their fans happy.

While fans can be wonderful and supportive, there are also those who are extremely opinionated on everything their vloggers do and on aspects of a vlogger’s personal life, especially relationships. I believe many people are so outspoken, as they assume these stars do not read their comments, but from the tearful video released by Smith and Wellens, the opposite is obvious. Such comments or even just opinions on what the couple should do is part of what led to their downfall. Instead of trying to make each other happy, the two were trying to please demanding fans and keep their views up.

For most of the population, Snapchat is probably the closest we will ever get to vlogging, but for those in the business, Smith and Wellens give these words of caution, specifically to young couples: “Don’t make daily videos... It’s not healthy. It’s not good for your relationship.”

The two have made the split and Wellens has decided that in the future, he would like to stick to making larger productions that are not as focused on his personal life.