How To NOT Burn Your Candle At Both Ends

Surviving end-of-the-semester stress

85
The Sophian

This time of year is the most stressful for anyone in college. This is when everyone in the mother decides to do everything. Every weekend is full and every week day has something going. I don't know everything gets done at the last minute, but to be completely honest, that's how college is. With all of this stress, some things might start to happen. I figured that I would give you a list of some things to do and not to do.

The first thing you should do is: remember to eat. This is the most important thing to remember. If you don't eat you will die. You will have no energy to do any studying or any of the activities that you have to go to. You should eat something that is good for you. That means no chips, no candy or soda. You need to eat something that is nutritional and healthy. Eat a sandwich and some water and some vegetables. You need to make sure that you eat something other than coffee. Coffee doesn't fit into any food group.

The second thing you should do is: remember to sleep. Sleep is actually the most important thing. If you don't get enough sleep, then you won't be able focus or even function. If you pull all-nighters, you are doing more harm to yourself than help. If you don't sleep, you won't be able to remember the information that you need to do well on your tests and papers. If you don't get enough sleep, then you can have hallucinations and start thinking that there are things that aren't really there.

The third thing you should do is: remember to take a break. If you don't take a break, then you will end up over-studying. It is important to take a break to allow your brain to refresh itself. By taking a break, I mean closing your eyes and listening to music for thirty minutes, or getting up and walking around. You should try to take a break every hour or so, even if it's just for a few minutes. It is important to take a break, so that you don't become overwhelmed.

The fourth thing you should do is: write everything down. If you have three tests coming up and a paper and a presentation and other things happening, you need to write them down. I would recommend writing those things down in the order of their importance and prioritize. You should also remember that you don't have to do everything right now. Just remember that it will all get done, it just takes a little time.

The fifth thing you should do is: have someone you can talk to. You need someone you can talk to who will help bring down your stress, not build it up. You can call them or meet up with them and just talk over what you're going through. If you can explain to someone else what you need to get done, then it should make it easier to block out time to do everything. They can also be the ones who talk to you about things that clear your mind and help you escape the stressful situation.

I know that this is going to probably be the busiest time of your life, that is until next semester. I know that you may be thinking right now that all you want is for all of this to be over, but before you know it, it will be and we'll have to be in the real world. If you are reading this and are yet to come to college, then I hope this can give some insight into what stress in college is like. You and your friends will be more tired than you'll ever be in your life. Good luck to everyone taking exams and writing papers!