'13 Reasons Why' Is Fictional, But The Bryce Walkers Of The World Are Very Real

"I get to leave constantly looking over my shoulder for monsters dressed up as the popular kid..."

5408
@13reasonswhy

"13 Reasons Why," most of us have either heard of it, watched it, or read the book which the Netflix series is based off. At it's core, it is a show that depicts the life of a girl named Hannah Baker who ultimately takes her own life. It is graphic, gruesome, and has been compared to "a car crash you can't look away from."

Although it largely ignores the issues of mental health that are clearly present in a lot of the characters, it handles topics like affirmative consent, slut shaming, and sexual harassment in a way that is both real and raw. The show opens up a conversation for topics that have been stigmatized and swept under the rug for far too long.

Because for every Hannah, Jessica, Chloe, and Nina...there are thousands of others.

Which also means that there are more Bryce Walkers.

"Does a scream count..."

We hear stories like Jessica's on the news all the time. But when we hear them, we utter to ourselves about how horrible it is, maybe feel bad about it for a few hours, before we stand up and go on about our lives. There is so much more we could be doing. More conversations we could be having, more questions we could be asking...more actions we could be taking.

I saw something the other day that said something along the lines of "Consent is sexy."

I'm sorry, but lingerie is sexy...consent is a basic human right (and for the record, the lace she's wearing underneath her shirt isn't consent either).

The topic of consent is something that is so simple to understand, yet we act like it's this new-found idea that we are all struggling to grasps.

But since we hear a new woman tell her story of survival every day, allow me to spell it out for you. The only thing that means yes, is the word "yes."

The length of her skirt is not a yes, the amount of drinks she has had is not a yes, and whatever "base" you've gotten to isn't a yes either.

"I get to leave constantly looking over my shoulder for monsters dressed up like the popular kid..."

It's important to show characters like Bryce because a person who has committed sexual assault/harassment isn't always some nameless guy wearing a ski mask in a dark alley. More often, it's the guys that seem untouchable or the guys that appear to be these "role models" like Bryce had convinced everyone around him he was.

They usually have everyone fooled, or have something held over the head of the ones they don't. They can be the star athlete, or student body presidents, or the popular kid. They can be someone who you've known your entire life; and the sad thing is, most of them never have to face the consequences of their actions because all too often we turn the blame on the victim.

"Well, she shouldn't have put herself in that position in the first place."

"She shouldn't have gotten so drunk."

"She shouldn't have been alone and a party filled with guys."

"Well, she kissed him first."

He shouldn't have done what he did. Period.

Sometimes it can appear harmless. When a guy pops a girl’s bra straps when she walks down the hall, they say it's just a joke. When "locker room talk" makes it out of the locker room, it’s just boys being boys...right? Wrong.

It's not okay, and it's not a joke.

But until we start treating it that way, we will keep raising Bryce Walkers.

And until we treat it that way, we will keep putting the Hannah's, the Jessica's, the Nina's, and the Chloe's at risk.

Disclaimer: This show is has scenes that depict very real and gruesome events of sexual violence, and it not right for everyone. Like the beginning of each episode in season 2 says, if you are struggling with these issues then you should avoid this series, or at least watch with a trusted adult. Parent's should view this series if their children under 18 are watching.