Girl. You May Be Broken Glass Shattered On The Ground, But You Will Get Put Back Together Again

Girl, You May Be Broken Glass Shattered On The Ground, But You Will Get Put Back Together Again

This isn't the end.

13

There's nothing like knowing you have the ability to do something and then suddenly being shattered to the ground. One moment you're on top of the world and the next you're on the ground, hopes dashed and dreams crushed. You start questioning every decision you made up to this point and wonder how you can show your face again, having embarrassed yourself in front of people you see all the time. Trying to pick up and piece together the broken glass of your life is discouraging and downright difficult. It's especially hard when you learn that certain people you thought you could trust are now in competition with you. Competition for what? I'm not sure exactly, but for whatever reason they feel like I'm some sort of a threat to their image. Let me just tell you that being nice to people who have crushed you is a skill that takes serious developing.

I know that at one point or another you've been squashed, too. Whether it was in the workplace, by your archenemy, or by a trusted friend, you know what it's like to see your life shatter before your eyes. These are what I call "Really, God?" moments. It doesn't make sense, especially when you've been following the Lord and seemingly doing all the right things, that God would let someone come in and crush you. Enthusiasm, gone. Confidence, gone. Giving up and completely quitting looks pretty good when you get to the point of being as flat as a pancake. When I was trying to clean up my broken glass, I truly considered never writing and publishing articles again, even though it's something I really enjoy. That's what happens when you're a pancake: you start making rash decisions because you feel like you're running out of time, nothing matters anymore, and there is no hope on the horizon. First of all, those are lies from the Devil. And second, just know that whoever squashed you and turned you into a pancake is probably very unhappy in their own life.

In the wise words of Mother Teresa: "People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway. The good you do today may be forgotten. Do good anyway. Give the world your best and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway…."

Don't let whoever squished you to a pancake convince you that that's where you belong. Pick up and glue together your broken glass. Be kind, be happy, forgive those who wrong you, and never stop showing the world that Jesus is the maker of all things new, therefore, being shattered isn't the end. We don't look the same after being put back together, but that's the point. Learn from your squished-like-a-pancake experience by walking in humility and turning back to help those who are trying to pick up their own broken glass. Let the haters hate and naysayers say what they want. The Lord doesn't let you get squished for nothing – learn from it and move on.