Bring Your Mom To College Day?

Bring Your Mom To College Day?

Thanks for grounding me

12
Bring Your Mom To College Day?
sev.h-cdn.co

Wow. I can remember my days in high school like they were only a couple months ago. Well, maybe that's because I have only been an alumnus of my high school for almost two months.

We all claim we dread every waking moment of our high school career, but in reality, most of us are terrified of taking that next step to adulthood. Everyone's been through those terrible Monday mornings, that teacher who always gave a little too much attitude, and who has not had at least one school lunch that was just a little underdone? These are some things that make most of us think we are so ready for college life, but are we really? We get so caught up with the freedom aspect of college life, yet what we don't seem to understand is that with freedom comes responsibility. I know. Such a mom, yet so true.

None of us can wait until we get to go to our first college party, staying out till all hours of the night, meeting all types of new people, hitting the dance floor all night long with your bestie. We all want to do all of those things, but what if you have to get up at eight o'clock for class the next morning? You are your own boss in college and that comes with just as many cons as it does pros.

Story time. This summer, I went to the beach with my friends. Of course, I'm super pumped about getting away from my mom and all the things I had to do in order to get ready for college for a week, and just have some fun with my friends. My friends and I are out having the time of our lives shopping and swimming, and more shopping. Two days into the trip I run out of money due to the simple fact that none of my friends were gonna watch over how much I was spending like my mom would back at home. Moral of the story I was not remotely responsible with my money because my mom wasn't with me.

Also, don't take me out on a shopping date. All of my friends look out for me, but no person has ever looked out for me like my parents have and the scary reality is that's not gonna change when I get to college. My mom nags at me all the time, calls me an hour before my curfew and never lets me buy the things I want -- all for good reasons. And it may have taken me all these years to figure it out, but she really has my best interest at heart, and I can never repay her for that. I can also never get that when I'm four hours away. Responsible parents don't always lead to the most responsible kids.

When I get to college I can only hope that I get a call from my mom three times a day to keep me sane. To have the best college experience, you always need someone to keep you grounded, but we all have to realize we especially need those who did the grounding!