Breaking The Digital Addiction: How To Use Your Phone Only For The Important Stuff

Using Your Phone Only For The Important Stuff

1058

It's all too easy to fall into the cycle of gaming and scrolling through social media on your mobile phone, especially when everything is so accessible. Companies behind these platforms employ the use of algorithms and targeted content in order to increase viewer retention but you can break the cycle. Break free from digital addiction and take back control of your productivity. Here are a few tips for you to make healthier habits when it comes to using your phone.

Don't charge your phone in an accessible place

Perhaps having a short battery life is the key to growing our self control, but no matter how good your phone is, many smartphones aren't able to be used for more than 24 hours, making charging essential. Take this opportunity to put your phone away and make it inaccessible for that short period of time. You can charge your phone in the kitchen on a short cable, or in the study. While you're waiting for your phone to charge up, you might start reading actual books and creating better habits. While there are suggestions not to put your phone in your bedroom to charge, the truth is that our phones are multipurpose devices that also double up as our alarm clock. If you are charging your phone in your room, put it on a short cable that makes it uncomfortable to use while charging, such as using a socket near the floor.

Be aware of your urges

Sometimes we check our phones due to a lull in activity. It could be when we've just gotten home from work, browsing through a step by step guide on how to get a golden nugget during lunch break, or most commonly (and most destructively) at bedtime. Forcing yourself to be aware of these feelings can help you use your device with more purpose. You don't really need to check Instagram while between meetings at work. You don't have to watch TikTok till you fall asleep.

Keep track of how much time you spend on each app

Perhaps one of the most useful ways to quit a bad habit is to fully recognize how destructive it is. You can install apps onto your phone that tracks how much time you spend a day on each application and how often you log on. Knowing exactly how much time you spend on each individual app may give you the wake up call you need in order to change your habits.

If it's not working for you, you don't need it

Think about it this way, if an app isn't adding value to your life and you're spending lots of time on it, it's essentially eating into your productivity and you should consider that it's time to do away with it. If you find that you are wasting too much time on Facebook or any application that isn't productive to you or your work, you can choose to hide or delete it to make it harder for you to access the platform and hence minimizing your time on it.