In Regards To Vegas, I'm Proud Of You, America

Your bravery and dedication to Vegas is overwhelming.

88
Twitter

The worst mass shooting in U.S history. We know how many fatalities there were on the scene. We know the man responsible. We know how many are injured and hospitalized. Many of us know the sound of horror and fear made on Sunday night by 22,000 people.

Words can not begin to grasp the depth and volume of emotions our country is feeling. But what I can say, is out of all of those feelings, I am proud of my fellow Americans.

I am proud of Taylor Winton, a former Marine who stole a utility truck to transport victims of the shooting to the hospital.

He stated that his military training kicked in and when he noticed vehicles on the other side of the fence, he hopped it in efforts to help the injured citizens around him.

“I tested my luck to see if any of them had keys in it, first one we tried opening had keys sitting right there,” he said. “I started looking for people to take to the hospital. There was just too many and it was overwhelming how much blood was everywhere.”

He also stated in an interview with CNN "It was still quite scary, but we just knew they had to get to the hospital immediately. No ambulances were immediately available. There was far too many causalities for anyone to handle. "

I am proud of the people who helped however they could.

Robert Ledbetter, a former scout sniper for the U.S. Army Ranger's, began to tend to the wounds of the injured. He made a tourniquet for a man with a gunshot wound to the leg with another man's flannel shirt.

“He just gave me his flannel off his back.” He said.

Ledbetter and Winston weren't the only veterans that took it upon themselves to help other victims. Eyewitness Russell Bleck told the TODAY show "Thank god it was at a country concert, there were so many ex-military there. You saw these men jump into action, their training … not even in uniform. These people just knowing what to do and treating their wounds. I didn’t see a single one taking cover, these guys were just running directly into the danger zone. ”

These veterans not only set up a makeshift hospital on the backside of the gunfire but were even seen plugging bullet hole wounds with their fingers. That kind of bravery and dedication in circumstances as terrifying as a mass shooting, is honestly mindblowing.

I am proud of the hundreds of residents that rushed to blood banks and waited for hours to give blood. By Monday the hospitals had enough blood to meet the immediate needs of those injured in the shooting.

I am proud of the people giving rides to their fellow citizens who are trying to get to the hospital.

I am proud of the SWAT team, the police department, the fire department, the dispatchers, investigators, and the medical teams tending to the victims.

I am proud of the people sending donations, cards, thoughts, and prayers into the city.

What happened in Vegas was horrific. But the response that came from our country as a whole is encouraging. I am proud of us, America. Of the bravery of those who put themselves in even more danger to save other victims in the shooting. Of the dedication our citizens have to each other in time of need. I am humbled by the unity and giving within our country in a time of fear, loss, and panic.

Evil's purpose is to divide and to terrify. But during this time, our country has proven that no matter what differences we may face as individuals, we remain indivisible.