On the drizzling afternoon of January 20, 2017 in Washington D.C., a New York City business tycoon was sworn in as the 45th President of the United States. Following one of the most controversial elections in American history, the drama continues even now that it’s over. But before we jump to conclusions, we have to give the man a chance. The American public elected him, and surely he’ll at least do something right in office. Lately, I constantly hear people making it sound like it's doomsday.

First things first, I feel that the protests are unnecessary at this point. 95 arrested? 4 police officers hurt? Clinton and Sanders supporters are still fighting to reject the fact that Trump is President. They praise the idea that America is already great, yet here they are hurting law enforcement and protesting the American government and the election system. They preach acceptance, yet are quick to rudely criticize anyone who remotely supports any aspect of Trump. It is simply very hypocritical.

Of course, the protestors are people too. People who live under the same democracy and deserve the same freedoms as everyone else. These are intelligent, educated people, I just happen to disagree with their approach. I feel that they should wait until specific disagreeable legislation is passed before one protests it. As shown by the inauguration day protests, what begins as a peaceful attempt, often resorts to violence. I have friends that are going to these protests, and I fear for their safety in the midst of senseless violence and destruction. I fear for the safety of American civilians, and the safety of American police officers. This is a two way street.

Naturally, as a young woman, I believe that women deserve gender equality, in the workforce, and in education (as well as other aspects). But to protest to such an extremity seems a bit of an exaggeration. As American women, throughout our country's existence we have gained a myriad of rights and abilities. There are countries where women still can't even vote. Our situation isn't perfect, especially in terms of equal pay, but it is definitely much better than some perceive it to be.

Do I agree with everything that Trump said during the election? Absolutely not. His comments about women were often beyond the point of condonable, and his mocking of a disabled reporter was downright disrespectful. However, he does seek to reduce crime and increase the job market. To aide in the college process and rid the education system of corrupt teachers and principals. Is America great? It has great aspects--the freedom of speech, religion, marriage equality, and (for the most part) quality education, but there are several areas that do indeed need improvement, and it is time that we stop masquerading around like everything is ideal and perfect. We are of course much better off than other restrictive nations in the world, but we have our hiccups.

At a glance, I at first thought Trump’s inauguration speech was a bit negative and abrasive. When giving it a second listen, however, I managed to find the positive aspects of his speech. The moments that gave me hope for the future of the American people:

“The forgotten will be forgotten no longer.”

“They’re pain is our pain. They’re dreams are our dreams.”

“America first.”

“We are rebuilding our country with American hands.”

“We do not seek to impose our way of life on anyone.”

“Always pursue solidarity.”

“When America is united, America is totally unstoppable.”

“Now arrives the hour of action.”

“We will not fail. Our country will thrive and prosper.”

“We all bleed the same red blood of patriots.”

“You will never be ignored again.”

It is too often assumed that the second you didn’t support Hillary, you love every aspect of Trump. I don’t. But regardless, he’s the president, and based on his speech, he truly seems to have American togetherness at heart. Obama was a wonderful president, although he did not accomplish everything at once (that would be impossible). It is not right to disrespect an American tradition through cursing and destroying businesses in protest. He hasn’t even done anything to affect the American people yet, and therefore there is nothing to actually protest.

The same people preaching unity in protest are the one’s dividing this country further. It makes me think of a song lyric from “My Shot” from Hamilton. Lin Manuel Miranda asked the right question: “Are we a nation of states, what’s the state of our nation?”

Whatever one may believe, it is time to accept the 45th President of the United States: Donald J. Trump. We may not know what the future holds, but as long as we stick together, there will always be hope. United we stand, and divided we fall.