You're Brave, You're Fierce,

You're Brave, You're Fierce,

You were created to live fearlessly.

23
You're Brave, You're Fierce,
Lindsey Laverty

I have been painting outside the lines since day one. Literally, actually. My mom refused to give my sister and I coloring books, and amazingly enough, something weird happened. We both started drawing objects going off the blank pages provided to us. Objects half in the picture, half out, half seen, half unseen. What was in our heads, could never be fully captured by the white squares before us.

Since day one, I’ve been a free spirit. “Passionate” some have called me. Maybe it comes with the territory (those darn artistic folk--always seem to feel deeper, seem to think a little too hard sometimes too). I think it’s just who I am, though.

My mom named it. She said I have a strong spirit. There have been many times when she expressed that watching me grow has meant waiting in curiosity to see who I would become, what I would do, and why it seems God has made me such a handful. A handful, she clarifies, but a bundle of joy too (thanks mom *fuzzy feelings*).

I have questioned this myself.

I received a letter written to me a little while ago, and the way it ended has been in the back of my mind for a while now. The letter was written by the mom of a friend of mine, both of whom I love dearly. It ended with addressing me as “You Brave, Fierce Girl, you.”

If I could go to the future, and choose the words I would want to describe me, or perhaps even pick the title of my autobiography, I think that phrase is what I have dreamed of all long. In that moment it seemed to click for me; this was me. This is what I was born to be.

Now mind you, I did not accept these words so readily. As I mentioned before, I have mulled over the words for quite some time. Saying things at first like, “damn, I wish that was me” or “if only that was accurate.” Believe me, even now as I accept that phrase, I think of what a coward I can be, how my fears still control me. Then I let the words sink in, and I think back to what life threw at me, took away from me.

I do not think I necessarily set out to be brave and fierce. I had a situation thrown at me—it hit me in the chest, knocked me down, had me drowning. However, I was wired in a way that not only did that adrenaline kick in that we all have in those challenging times, but my spirit kicked in and said, “Not only am I going to swim and survive, I’m going the extra mile.”

I believe we all have the potential to have a strong spirit. As for me, I think God gave me a head start because He knew what I was going to face. I’m not complete either. My ability to be brave and fierce, to have courage, is still a process, I’m still developing.

I have come to realize that I think that's how God made all of us to be. I think He made us to be fearless, to take risks, to be ourselves, to live life fully, passionately, with a lust for living and a love for Him. Some scholars have argued that the Bible has the phrase "Do not be afraid" or something similar, 365 times. Even with this being debated, the variety of versions of translations have instances of it ranging from 29-57. That said, I'm going to take a wild guess and go with, God does not want us to be afraid.

I noticed that on Eastern's rock it has painted "Live FEARLESSLY" and I couldn't help but stop and think about it. What would that even look like for me? Then I looked up the verse it referenced, Isaiah 41:10, "Do not fear, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you."

I think of all the amazing people here at Eastern with passions and thirst for justice. How much more of a difference could we make if we started making small steps towards living fearlessly? To being exactly who God made us to be, following His step-by-step for us with complete trust.

I still struggle with what this might look like, but I find myself passing that rock each day and contemplating how I can take one step to living fearless, in that moment, hour, or day. "Living FEARLESSLY" sounds amazing to me. It sounds boundless, exploding with possibility and color, and I want that for myself and those around me. I think this starts with wrestling with the idea that you are innately fierce and brave. Go ahead and live fearlessly, because you are a child of God, and He made you to be FEARLESS.