I Boycotted Coffee For A Week And I Almost Killed Someone

To all of my javaheads out there, learn from my mistake.

32

Coffee is the love of my life. But the old adage goes "if you love something, you let it go."

Big mistake.

For some odd reason I convinced myself going without coffee, the essential component of my morning routine for the past eight years, would be an interesting experience in order to detox myself from caffeine. Feel free to laugh at my unfortunate journey that I documented.

Day 1, 8:08 AM

Okay so this is when I'd normally slap a K-Cup in my Keurig and impatiently wait for the minute long brew, but I'll opt for orange juice instead. Everything is going to be okay!

Day 1, 2:35 PM

Well I have officially caffeine crashed and I feel like a train has hit me. I have a pulsing headache, I've been irritable all day, and I'll probably skip my workout.

Day 2, 9:00 AM

After some restless sleep last night, I wake up still feeling tired from yesterday. I skipped my workout and I feel like crap. But, more orange juice for me and maybe things will get better when I eat.

Day 2, 3:00 PM, Mid-Workout

I thought I was tired before, but this is a whole new level of crashing. I feel like my blood sugar has dropped. The 35 lb dumbbells I usually use for hammer curls feel immovable. This is starting to mess with my gains.

Day 3, 9:30 AM

Okay they say the third day is worse, and I can believe them. I miss the therapy that I had by sitting around drinking coffee collecting my thoughts. That warmth in the morning, the embrace of my own thoughts... I don't feel like myself.

Day 3, 12:13 PM

I didn't tell my friends I was doing the no-coffee thing. They say I look tired, and the bags under my eyes are becoming more apparent. I haven't really felt like talking much, but this has to be the worst day right?

Day 4, 9:00 AM

My heart was beating in my chest when I woke up this morning. I know caffeine withdrawal is bad, but I don't even think that's my problem. I'm just so angry. I feel like a part of my life is gone. Yesterday I had to tell someone I actually COULD NOT meet to get coffee, their treat. Missing free coffee is my worst nightmare... maybe that's why I couldn't sleep.

Day 4, 4:45 PM

Can't talk. Just yelled at a screaming bratty kid in line at Walmart. Mother wasn't happy with me. I don't know what's happening anymore.

Day 5, 0900 Hours

Once upon a time I can remember the warm embrace of the morning brew. I don't even know what I live for anymore. I just count the minutes down until I can sleep again and escape from this living hell.

Day 5, 2100 Hours

Completing sentences is hard. I finish saying one, and I forget what I'm talking about. People look at me like I'm crazy. I wear sunglasses and a hat everywhere now, I'm ashamed to show my face. My hands tremble and I'm always clammy with sweat. Send help if you find this.

Day 6, The clock blinks in my face but numbers make no sense anymore.

Why do we even track time? Why do we write things down? History, the past, the present and the future mean nothing. We're all going to die an inevitable heat death of the universe. Nothing matters. I hope this is almost over.

Day 6, Time Unknown

I look back on my previous recording and laugh at myself. I think the delirium had me for a while there, but I've got it all figured out. Everyone's watching me. I'm thriving on protein powder and Gatorade. My arms feel like they're shrinking. But I've resorted to hiding, nobody can watch me anymore.

Day 7, The sun has been up for awhile.

A shallow skeleton of a man looks me in the mirror. I don't recognize myself anymore. I don't even know if I can spell coughy anymore. Or is it covfefe? Where is that even from? What I would give to inhale such glorious aroma that day-after-day escapes my mind!

Day 7, The moon is visible.

Good night world. I don't know if I can make it.

Day 8, 9:00 AM

I woke up to an alarm going off this morning with a note on my phone saying "You made it! Enjoy your coffee!"

Is this really true? Has it been seven days? I feel like I have been reborn as the earthy fragrance of the beverage fills my mouth, my stomach and my soul. The ecstasy of this living breathing moment, I feel like nothing else matters!

So, with this week of hell behind me I stand a stronger person. Am I too depend on coffee to live a normal life? Yes. Do I care? No.

To all of you non-coffee drinkers, I don't know how you do it.