"BoycotHamilton: How is This a Thing?

"BoycotHamilton: How is This a Thing?

Why is America having this conversation right now?

5
"BoycotHamilton: How is This a Thing?
Pete Souza

Looks like Stephen Colbert has another reason for asking for Hamilton tickets to give away besides the bare-minimum scenery that musical didn't win a Tony for.

Trump-Pence supporters are asking to boycott the Broadway smash hit, Hamilton.

There is something about this situation that confuses me just as much, if not more, than the election results.

You have a Broadway production that is already sold out of tickets, which can cost as high as a little over $2,000 or more, and people are asking to boycott that show.

For the thousandth time, America, what are you thinking?

With that in mind, what was said that was so offensive?

Vice President-elect Mike Pence went to see a showing of the award-winning show. At the end of the show, Brandon Victor Dixen, the actor who portrays Aaron Burr, delivered a message on behalf of the entire cast to Pence saying that they need someone to adequately care for the country. The message also expressed concern on how America, especially those in the LGBT community, will be treated under Pence's proposed policies, and how the cast is a reflection of a diverse group of beings coming together in a common goal.

How was that offensive?

Sure, Lin-Manuel Miranda and the rest of the cast of Hamilton were clear that they supported Hilary Clinton throughout the campaign. And for that matter, for all anyone would know, Mike Pence was there to see a show and did not expect to get any sort of special message from the cast.

At the same time, these actors have a right to say what they said that night. They neither condemned Pence for what he is, nor did they encourage the audience to boo him for being a part of the audience.

If that was the case, I would understand why people were getting angry.

Since it isn't the case, I have to say, in the words of King George III, "I'm perplexed."

In every English/writing course I ever had to take, there is a common theme among all of the professors I have ever had to date: it is suitable to see both sides of the argument. If the other side of your proposed argument is not included, it makes for a flimsy one that doesn't hold much water.

By that logic, Americans wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

But this situation begs the question, "Do people even see the other side of the argument anymore?"

I suppose the answer should be yes, but if this year has taught me anything, it's that the media can be so twisted that it can be hard to get the facts straight.

With that in mind, the argument that Trump-Pence supporters are making do not exactly have a strong leg to stand on.

There's nothing like live-theater. If anything, those actors were in-character for taking a stand like that. There's a reason songs like "My Shot" exist in this musical. They are, in their own words, no less, "America's past as told by America's present." They are doing what they claim to be doing (which is more than I can say for either of those presidential candidates).

Besides, for every person that wants to give away their ticket because of this movement, there is a Hamilton fan who is just as willing to take it.

Don't believe me, ask the majority of my friends. Ask my teachers. Ask the country.