Why Is Boston Obsessed With Sports Heroes?

Uncovering The Obsession With Our Supernatural Athletes

25

“Why is everyone in Boston obsessed with Tom Brady, he’s not even that good.” “New England is literally the only place besides Canada that actually cares about hockey.” “Fenway Park is so old and uncomfortable, I’d never want to go there.”

When I was younger, I remember my cousin teaching my younger cousin “The Papi Point”. If you’ve ever watched a Red Sox game you know what I’m talking about, when David Ortiz two handed points to the crowd and everyone points back enthusiastically. Every time Joey pointed at 2 year old Kevin, Kevin would point back like a true fan. But how about when your art teacher or high society friends ask you your favorite artistic sculpture? While they’re discussing David and The Thinker, you know the correct answer is clearly the one and only Bobby Orr outside the Garden. Or, what about every time you hear the number 12? If you’re from Boston, you don’t think its the number of donuts you can get from Dunks in a dozen, or the number of months in year or even number of Tribes of Israel (shoutout Catholic School education). No, if you're a true Bostonian, 12 means only one thing. The G.O.A.T, The God, TB12. But why does Boston worship these icons, calling them heroes, building million dollar franchises around them? The answer is simple, Boston has always been a city of heroes.

Remember that thing that happened some 240 years ago? A little thing called America winning their damn independence? I wonder where that Revolution started…oh that’s right, BOSTON. To the man who conducted the Tea Party, let’s build a beer industry under his name. And to the man who warned us that yes, the British are indeed coming, you get not only a statue in Boston Common, but your house gets to be a stop on the Freedom Trail. These people (whose identities I can only assume you know) are household names in Massachusetts, they even have cities in their honor for Paul’s sake! (See what I did there..?)

We honor our entertainment heroes (and anti-heroes) though too. Why go to Fire and Ice when you can go the place Where Everybody Knows Your Name? Or, instead of trying to erase Boston’s mob ridden past, let’s make Hollywood sensations that essentially promote our beloved Whitey Bulger. And, let’s be honest, where would America be without our favorite burger making, pop singing, and dirty comedic family, the Wahlburgs. God help you if you take Marky Mark’s name in vain around here.

Finally, Boston would be lost without the people who are perhaps alone in fitting into the Oxford English Dictionary’s definition of hero. Our policemen, fire fighters and medical miracle workers are those who work tirelessly to keep Boston safe, so we can continue to be the city of heroes. When tragedy struck in April 2013, instead of falling into despair, Boston rose together, with our public officers leading the pack. Just like the Sons of Liberty fighting for freedom, so to did Boston unite again to protect our justice.

So there you have it. We here in Boston worship our sports heroes because we were built and continue to be, a city of heroes.

How ya like them apples?