Books that MUST be read before you die

Books that MUST be read before you die

A list of books I read throughout the year and my thoughts on them.

42

The first book I read this year was "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver. It was a pretty good book that was about a family moving to Africa to spread the word about God. I would rate this book a ⅘ because it inspired me to travel the world in the future and become successful. The second book I read was "The house of scorpion" and I thought it was easier to read than The first book I read. This book was about the life of a cloned boy and was very interesting for me. I would rate this book a 4.5/5 because it was so interesting and I just couldn't put the book down.

An assigned book I had to read was " Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer and I thought it was pretty boring. Despite the fact the book was a true story about a guy who survived out in the wilderness of Alaska, it wasn't as interesting as the first two books I read and it was personally hard to understand. I would rate this book a ⅗ because the story itself seemed thrilling but as I kept reading the book I found myself getting uninterested. Another assigned book I had to read was the "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" which was a book I had to stop midway because the language of the writing was so hard to understand. The writing had a thick southern accent to it and a lot of acronyms which made it even more confusing than "Into the Wild". I would rate this book a ⅖ because I absolutely disliked it and couldn't read it.

"The Great Gatsby" was another assigned book that was actually pretty good. I loved the fact that the book was fast paced and somewhat challenging. The book was about a rich man named Gatsby and his denying love for a girl. There are a lot of underlying themes and meanings in the book that was used. I would rate this book a 4.5/5 because i enjoyed the whole book and finished it in a week. The book "Wonder" by RT Palacio was a book I read after reading "The Great Gatsby". It was about a boy who was self-conscious about his appearance even though he had the greatest personality. I would rate this book a ⅘ because it has taught the readers that anything is possible with confidence in themselves.

"The Silver Star" and "The Glass Castle" were books bother written by Jeannette Walls. Unlike the rest of the books I've read, these books were very realistic, sad, and touching. I would rate both books a 3.5/5 because sometimes her books get too sad for the readers ( at least for me). The last book I read this year was another assigned book called "It's Kind of a Funny Story". The book "It's Kind of a Funny Story" is about a depressed teenager who almost commits suicide but stops himself and gets help. I would rate this book a ⅘ because this book is truly inspiring to many individuals who are feeling suicidal and is a message for them to get help from their loved one. Although this book was very sad in some parts, it touched my heart and made me feel happy for the main character when he overcame depression.