10 Books To Read To Get You Going In The New Year
New Year

With the new year, comes a new reading list.

114

Disclaimer: there will be multiple books about WWII, I feel in our generation, we are lucky we have not had to deal with genocides or another World War, however, I feel the books on this subject that are included can remind us to prevent history from repeating itself and to also remind us to be grateful for the lives we do have.

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein

Narrated by a dog, this novel runs through the life of Enzo and his owner Denny. This book will make you laugh, cry, and if you're a dog lover, give you a greater appreciation for dogs and their companionship.

"Shanghai Girls" by Lisa See

Set in Shanghai before the war, two privileged sisters Pearl and May have it all. Their looks, clothes, age, but as war looms near, their lives change forever. The book progresses quickly through time and even spends a lot of time on the treatment of Chinese immigrants and their children in the United States.

"All These Things I've Done" by Gabrielle Zevin (Trilogy)

Chocolate and coffee are illegal. In New York paper is difficult to find, water is rationed while crime and poverty are at an all-time high. Set in 2083 the daughter of the most notorious crime boss (chocolate seller), tries to live the most normal life she can. I don't know about you but coffee and chocolate are two of my favorite things.

"The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas

Now a movie, the main character, Starr, witnesses the shooting and death of a childhood friend at the hand of a police officer. This book not only gives you a look inside police brutality but it also walks you through the life of a teenage girl who feels conflicted by what society expects her to be and who she really is.

"Before We Were Yours" by Lisa Wingate

A beautiful book that walks you through the life of Avery Stafford, a woman who seems to have it all. After a visit to a retirement home, Avery begins to do some digging to find out more about the past of a woman she came across in the home, and learns about secret illegal adoptions and stolen children.

"The Nightingale" by Kristen Hannah

Set in France in 1939, this walks us through the life of heroin, and the risks are taken to save the lives of Jews and eventually her fight for her own life.

"The Selection Series" Kiera Cass

This series contains five books, all of which, walk you through the life of a girl at the bottom of a caste system post-World War III. Throughout the series, you get a mix of romance, adventure, and even a little bit of mystery.

"The Siren" by Kiera Cass

Saved from a shipwreck by the ocean, Kahlen owes the sea her life. As her repayment for being spared, Kahlen is sentenced to the life of a siren. She does not age, but her voice brings death to anyone who hears it.

"The Last Black Unicorn" by Tiffany Haddish

I recommend the audiobook on this one. Tiffany Haddish narrates it herself, and she tells the story of her life through what she knows the best comedy. This book is a great pick me up, especially if you need a good laugh. Tiffany is not only honest about her life but is unapologetic in this hilarious book.

"The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini

"The Kite Runner" takes place in a very important time during Afghanistan destruction and heartbreak and walks you through the unlikely friendship of a wealthy boy, and the son of his father's servant.