10 Books To Put A Spring In Your Step This Season

Because we could all use something to get us through this deary weather

85

A while back I did an article on books to read during the Fall and found that once I wrote that, I kind of stepped back and stopped reading for a bit. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I was busy with a lot of different things going on in my life. Trying to juggle work, the holidays, and applying for grad schools, I barely had time to catch my breath.

Regardless, once everything started to calm down I found myself getting back into reading again and managed to make up for time lost. This list of books are either ones I've read a while back that I loved, ones I've recently read, and one's I've heard good things about that I can't wait to get my hands on and read. So, here are 10 books to put a spring in your step this season, enjoy.

1. "A Totally Awkward Love Story" by Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison

One thing I really liked about this book that I've never read quite often before or even at all is that there were two writers contributing to this book. Each one developed their own main character and they switched back and forth between chapters. I felt like that worked a lot because we as the readers were able to get a feel for how both writers worked creatively.

The Summer before college, Hannah swears she’s finally going to find The One. And for five perfect minutes, Hannah does find him. He’s cute and makes her laugh like crazy. She just wishes she’d caught his name, because Toilet Boy Cinderella really lacks sex appeal.

For Sam, the summer is off to a bad start for a million reasons. But for five minutes his luck changes: in a fancy restroom painted purple like it belongs in a Bond villain hideaway, Sam falls head over heels for some strange and hilarious girl. Of course, he doesn’t know her name. With his luck, he’ll never see her again, and he’ll remain a girlfriendless, moony-eyed virgin. Forever.

But another chance meeting brings them together, only to have a chance misunderstanding drive them apart...and then the cycle starts all over again. Madcap mishaps, raunchy hilarity, and deep romance follow these two wherever they go. For two people so clearly destined for each other, they sure have a hell of a lot of trouble even getting together.

2. "Tell Me Three Things" by Julie Buxbaum

When I first started reading this book, I wasn't entirely a fan of the constant texts and emails that were happening. But once the story progressed, I became fully immersed into it. So much so that I found I couldn't put the book down.

Sixteen-year-old Jessie Holmes relocates to Los Angeles from Chicago with her dad less than two years after her mom’s death. Her new life includes a wealthy step-mother, a spoiled step-brother, and privileged classmates. As Jessie begins her junior year at an elite private school, she finds herself homesick and lonely --- until she receives an anonymous email from an admirer. The trials and tears of losing a loved one and starting over unfold thoughtfully in the new young adult novel.

3. "Turtles All The Way Down" by John Green

My love for John Green and his novels is immense. I wrote about this book separately in an article but I had to give my praise to it again because it's just that good.

Sixteen-year-old Aza never intended to pursue the mystery of fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, but there’s a hundred-thousand-dollar reward at stake and her Best and Most Fearless Friend, Daisy, is eager to investigate. So together, they navigate the short distance and broad divides that separate them from Russell Pickett’s son, Davis.

Aza is trying. She is trying to be a good daughter, a good friend, a good student, and maybe even a good detective, while also living within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts. I've never related more to a character than her before and hopefully you will too when you read this book.

4. "We Are Okay" by Nina LaCour

I got this book as one of my gifts this past Christmas because for the past few months no matter what book store I found myself going into, I always stopped to look at this book and read the first few pages. But then I'd always end up putting it back on the shelf. So, I decided to ask for it and I've never regretted getting a book much sooner than this one.

You go through life thinking there's so much you need...

Until you leave with only your phone, your wallet, and a picture of your mother.

Marin hasn't spoken to anyone from her old life since the day she left everything behind. No one knows the truth about those final weeks. Not even her best friend, Mabel. But even thousands of miles away from the California coast, at college in New York, Marin still feels the pull of the life and tragedy she's tried to outrun.

Now, months later, alone in an emptied dorm for winter break, Marin waits. Mabel is coming to visit, and Marin will be forced to face everything that's been left unsaid and finally confront the loneliness that has made a home in her heart.

5. "The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas

I cannot emphasize this enough: if there is one book you choose to read from this list, please choose this one. I cannot stress how eye-opening and important this book is. And if at times it makes you feel uncomfortable than it's doing it's job.

Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter navigates between the poverty-stricken neighborhood she has grown up in and the upper-crust suburban prep school she attends. Her life is up-ended when she is the sole witness to a police officer shooting her best friend, Khalil, who turns out to have been unarmed during the confrontation – but may or may not have been a drug dealer. As Starr finds herself even more torn between the two vastly different worlds she inhabits, she also has to contend with speaking her truth and, in the process, trying to stay alive herself.

6. "What To Say Next" by Julie Buxbaum

As you can see from this list, I tend to read books by the same authors, sometimes one right after the other. I was introduced to Julie Buxbaum from reading this book and I've never read a more beautiful and heart-wrenching story where you find yourself rooting for the characters until the last page.

When an unlikely friendship is sparked between relatively popular Kit Lowell and socially isolated David Drucker, everyone is surprised, most of all Kit and David. Kit appreciates David’s blunt honesty—in fact, she finds it bizarrely refreshing. David welcomes Kit’s attention and her inquisitive nature. When she asks for his help figuring out the how and why of her dad’s tragic car accident, David is all in. But neither of them can predict what they’ll find. Can their friendship survive the truth?

7. "Eleanor & Park" by Rainbow Rowell

I read this book a few years ago actually. But sometimes I find myself thinking about certain stories and authors who've been able to create such incredible characters and stories and this one was always one of them.

Eleanor is the new girl in town, and she's never felt more alone. All mismatched clothes, mad red hair, and chaotic home life, she couldn't stick out more if she tried. Then she takes the seat on the bus next to Park. Quiet, careful and - in Eleanor's eyes - impossibly cool, Park's worked out that flying under the radar is the best way to get by.

Slowly, steadily, through late-night conversations and an ever-growing stack of mixed tapes, Eleanor and Park fall in love. They fall in love the way you do the first time, when you're 16, and you have nothing and everything to lose. Set over the course of one school year in 1986, Eleanor and Park is funny, sad, shocking and true - an exquisite nostalgia trip for anyone who has never forgotten their first love.

8. "The Hundred Lies Of Lizzie Lovett" by Chelsea Sedoti

I have yet to get the chance to read this book yet. I actually took a trip to Barnes & Nobles] last month and picked up this book, yet it still remains on my shelf while I get through a series I'm currently halfway through. My mom read it before me and she said she liked it so I'll take her word for it.

A teenage misfit named Hawthorn Creely inserts herself in the investigation of missing person Lizzie Lovett, who disappeared mysteriously while camping with her boyfriend. Hawthorn doesn't mean to interfere, but she has a pretty crazy theory about what happened to Lizzie. In order to prove it, she decides to immerse herself in Lizzie's life. That includes taking her job... and her boyfriend. It's a huge risk — but it's just what Hawthorn needs to find her own place in the world.

9. "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Yet again, another book I haven't had the chance to read or even purchase still. Like most books I consider getting, I spent a good amount of time on this one, looking it over and reading the first few pages. I was intrigued to say the least, and I think I'll definitely have to buy this one when I go back.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

10. "Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda" by Becky Albertalli

It is soon to be a major motion picture as "Love, Simon" coming to theaters March 16th. Which means I need to read this book before I see the movie which also means I need to buy this book asap before the movie leaves theaters. I've seen a lot of people talking about this book and after seeing the trailer I know now I need to both read the book and see the movie.

Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.

There you have it. Hopefully these books will help you get through this dreary weather and into a lighter, happier mood!