7 Tips To Hire A Book Writer In 2021 To Finish Your Book

Get your story out there.

15
Photo by Toa Heftiba on Unsplash

The pandemic has forced a lot of us to examine aspects of our lives, to put under careful scrutiny our commonplace assumptions about what matters to us—our relationships, work, what we want out of life and more. For many, this has meant fully pondering over how they wish to live the rest of their days on earth.

Some are driven to share insights and realizations they've arrived at during lockdown in the hope and belief that hearing about their struggles will help others as well. Either way, this has resulted in a lot of people finally taking the time to write the book they've always wanted.

You might be in the same boat. Maybe, you've even started writing already. You have a draft. You have an idea of how the rest of it should flow or what events should follow. Only to come up against a wall, reminding you that you aren't a writer, that you lack the words to fully express what you feel.

That's where hiring a professional comes in. There are seasoned book writers that can take over for you and finish your book. Wondering how you can get in touch with them? Here are some tips!

1. Think about what you want

First, before you hire anyone, make sure you're clear about the kind of writing you want, that you envision and want to see in your book. What kind of tone or writing style appeals to you? That will make it easier for you to find a writer capable of writing in that style or using the approach you want.

2. Look for platforms

There are job hiring platforms that you can look into and sign up for. Many professionals for hire use these sites to get clients, so that's a good place for you to start. Before you start checking out profiles, you'll want to know your options. Think about whether you want to hire the services of an agency or freelancer.

An agency can offer a range of options that can cover other aspects of publishing and getting your book out there. More than hiring a writer to finish the rest of your book, you can have the agency handle all the other steps in the process. But, if you aren't decided about what you want to do with the book, or you only want to focus on getting the rest of your story out and written, then hiring a freelancer is an ideal option for you.

3. Look for credentials

What kind of experience does the writer have? Some writers have a reputation for producing exceptional memoir writing, for instance, having worked on several similar projects in the past. Some have extensive experience in non-fiction writing or personal essays. Those are the qualifications you'll want to look for.

By hiring someone who has already written memoirs or essays before, you can find the help you need to get your book out there, especially if you plan the book to be about your life story.

4. Consider compatibility

Through hiring platforms, you'll have plenty of options to choose from. But while there's no shortage of talent, it can be a bit of a daunting task to find a writer that you can get along with. You'll be telling that writer details about your life. You'll need to choose someone that you are comfortable with, that you are at ease with. Only then will the story flow. Only then can you recount all the details that you want to say without any worries.

5. Talk about expectations

Be sure to get payment issues out of the way first. How much will it cost? What does the rate cover? Go over the services or tasks that you expect the writer to handle for amount you're paying. Also, if you have other tasks you might want to request for, this is a good time to bring them up. That way, the writer can discuss those expectations, let you know which are feasible and which need to be adjusted or scrapped.

6. Determine your timeline

Are you in a hurry to finish your book? What's your timeline? Are you flexible with that timeline, though? Some writers might be backed up for weeks with work, so you might have to wait before their schedule is free and can get started on your project.

If you're in a hurry yourself, make sure you mention that to the writer first thing so that both parties can decide whether to work with that timeline or go separate ways. Other times, you might want to consider modifying your timeline. Having one helps you monitor the progress of the project and figure out if you're on schedule or already a few weeks behind.

7. Know your platforms

On what platforms do you want to publish? Who is your audience, or do you even have any in mind? Maybe all you want to do is tell a story. Being aware of these details will help you choose the right pro for your project.