18 Book-To-Movie Adaptations To Get Hype Over

If you haven't read any of these books, you might want to get started.

187
YouTube

There is a lot coming out this year, and as any good English major should be, I'm THRILLED to see so many books being turned into blockbusters. Here are 18 of the books being turned into movies I think you all should read immediately!

1.Mary Poppins Returns (book by P.L Travers)

The second book in the series about Britain's cheeriest and best nanny will be adapted into a movie that will come out Christmas day, 2018, giving you plenty of time to read up and find out more. Sadly, this movie will not feature Julie Andrews reprising her role, but we will get to see Emily Blunt take on the role with Lin Manuel Miranda as her Burt-like companion.

2. Little Women (book by Louisa May Alcott)

This book has been adapted time and time again, and yet, this new adaption is still a reason to be excited. The adaptation has not received a release date yet, though that should not keep the eager reader from reading (or re-reading) this timeless classic about four sisters growing up into womanhood in the backdrop of the Civil War.

3. Monster (book by Walter Dean Meyers)

I was fortunate enough in high school to go and see the author of this book at a Delaware literary festival, and if his speeches were any indication, this work adapted off of Monster will be something stellar. The novel is easy to digest and is written like a screenplay, which makes the movie version that much more intriguing.

4. To All The Boys I've Loved Before (book by Jenny Han)

If you find yourself wishing you had spoken to that random cute person you saw and instantly fell in love with, this is the book for you! In Han's work, the main character writes love letters to all the boys she has fallen in love with, whether or not she has spoken to them. This all seems innocent and calm until her secret letters get mailed out. Now, she has to confront the boys and- maybe- figure out which one she is really in love with.

5. Every Day (book by David Levithan

This novel has gone viral on Facebook for its gorgeous trailer, and a lot of people have said that they were unaware this was a book (something I am quick to point out in the comment section of every post I see because THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS!). The story tells the journey through time of one man as he is brought to life every day in a different body, something he has found a smooth transition and system for. That is until he falls in love with a girl in a small town. Now, he finds a way to see her every day, and I won't spoil the ending, but let's just say, bring your tissues, because this is emotional from beginning to end. This movie comes out February 23, 2018.

6. The Bell Jar (book by Sylvia Plath)

Mental health is a major point of conversation nowadays, and bringing this book up to the surface again is a great way to keep the conversation going, as this is the story of the author Sylvia Plath, written to seem like a work of fiction about a successful artist named Esther. Plath, sadly, is often more well-known for her suicide than her life, but this book does a great job of showing anger and depression in the midst of a beautiful writing career that seemed to have no way of going down. There is no release date yet for this movie.

7. Ashes in the Snow (book by Ruta Sepetys)

This movie will be based on Between Shades of Grey, a story of a family forced to work for the Soviets in a prison camp during World War 2. The main character is a 15-year-old girl who paints and sends drawings to her father in another prison camp, hoping he will receive them and know the family is alive. This story is harrowing and breathtaking, and it is one that will stick with you for a long time. While there is no set release date for this movie yet, readers should be warned that they will want to read this book before they see the movie.

8. The Jungle Book (book by Rudyard Kipling)

This is another classic that has received a lot of attention in the past few years, with the live-action Disney film just coming out recently. The new adaption will come out October 18, 2018, and I'm curious to know what will come of this story bridging the gap between humans and animals.

9. Fahrenheit 451 (book by Ray Bradbury)

This novel is on the top of most school reading lists, which normally means it will be boring and tired. Not the case for this book at all! I am curious to see what will be made of this novel featuring book burnings and the so-called 'end of literature' in an age where we, for the most part, are in a world of complete technology. This book will have refreshed meaning and strength, and readers will want to brush up on the storyline to be prepared for what is most likely going to be a bumpy ride. This adaption is due on HBO, though there is no exact release date yet.

10. Boy Erased (book by Garrard Conley)

This book tells the story of a 19-year-old boy who is outed as homosexual to his parents during his college experience. As the son of a pastor, he is met with anger and harassment, and given two choices- attend a 12-step conversion program that promises to make him pure or leave the family. The story delves deep into the choices the characters make to remain strong in their convictions, and the challenges faced when people cannot agree, despite sharing the same family and friends. This adaption is coming out September 28, 2018.

11. Fantastic Beasts, the Crimes of Grindelwald (book by J.K. Rowling)

This second part of J.K Rowling's new series looks like it has a star-studded cast that will deepen the story of wizard historian Newt Scamander and his connections to previously beloved Harry Potter characters like Albus Dumbledore and friends. The new adaption will be out November 16, 2018.

12. A Wrinkle in Time (book by Madeleine L’Engle)

This book might not be as well-known to people my own age, but I am so fortunate that my mother and Nana helped me find this entire series in my nana's attic. This story makes children the heroes of a time-travel adventure on a journey to save their parents and the world. The trailers for this movie look insane, and with such a great cast and a brilliant story, I don't know how this could go wrong. This movie will be out in theaters March 9, 2018.
13. Bel Canto (book by Ann Patchett)
This book details the relationships between people as represented by music as their common language. Admittedly, I have not read this book, but I am curious to read more about the connection between people and music and see how music translates into the writing of the book and the movie that will come out at some point this coming year.

14. Ready Player One (book by Ernest Cline)

This movie looks INCREDIBLE, and while I am not one to be deeply invested in video games, this book/movie combination reminiscent of the 80s has something for everyone. Action, suspense, science-fiction, video games, world-jumping, prize-seeking, and virtual reality all have a part to play in this thrilling movie coming out March 30, 2018.

15. Annihilation (book by Jeff VanderMeer)

This movie trailer seems to have just appeared, and if that trailer is any indication, this is going to be a combination of scary and a classic adventure tale. The story features four fearless women that leave the safety of their society to go into a bubble-surrounded wilderness in order to find out what happened to a previous set of explorers (one of which is Natalie Portman's husband who made it out before she went out to search). This movie will be out February 23, 2018.

16. Ophelia book by Lisa Klein, play by William Shakespeare)

This movie will tell an alternate take on Shakespeare's tragic character and her journey making her own decision to stay with Hamlet or leave the scenes of the play. Readers may want to brush up on their Shakespeare so they can keep it in the back of their head when watching this crafty movie coming out later this year.

17. Love, Simon (book by Becky Albertalli)

I am personally ecstatic this quirky, hilarious book is getting some screentime in 2018. The story starts off seeming like any other teen romance movie with Simon staring at a girl, though we soon learn that Simon is gay and he is scared to come out, but not because his parents will disapprove, but because he is scared of changing everything. He goes on a journey of self-discovery and love as he works up the courage to make the leap in more than one aspect of life. I will be in the top row, eating more popcorn than I should be when this comes out March 16, 2018.

18. Red Sparrow (book by Jason Matthews)

This book takes place in modern day Russia and is told from the point of view of a femme-fatale KGB agent pinned up against a young CIA agent she used to be friends with. With current foreign relations with Russia being so tense, this book may be one to read, and a movie to look out for when it comes out in late 2018.

So, what do you think? What are you most excited to read?