7 Reasons 'The Bold Type' Is Your New Favorite Show

It's the empowering feminist show we've all been waiting for.
3

So, "Pretty Little Liars" is over and you think there's nothing to fill your Tuesday night void. If you haven't caught on to "The Bold Type" yet, you're missing out. If you loved "The Devil Wears Prada," Freeform's newest TV show is sure to be your next obsession for the rest of the summer, and here are seven reasons why.

1. It's based on the lives of women working for the magazine Cosmopolitan

Though Scarlet is a fictitious publication, the inspiration did not come out of nowhere. Joanna Coles, former editor-in-cheif of Cosmo, is the show's executive producer and the content is all based on the experiences and lives of the women who work there. Some of the lead actresses even shadowed and toured the offices as research for their own characters to round out the real-feel of the show.

2. Jane is the perfect "nice girl"

Jane Sloan, a recently promoted writer at Scarlet, seems like the type to always play it safe, especially in the first two episodes. You're rooting for her to have a bit of an edgier side, and to take risks, especially when it means a great story will come out of it. She embodies the term "nice girl" perfectly, but is willing to risk that label, which is totally inspiring.

3. Kat is a total badass

Scarlet's social media director, Kat Edison, is Jane's opposite, with plenty of edge, and sometimes no filter. You may find yourself wanting to yell at the TV screen for her to check herself before she does something too risky, but you love her spunk nonetheless.

4. You'll live vicariously through Sutton's love life

Sutton Brady's secret romance with Richard Hunter, an older man on Scarlet's board of directors, will leave you thirsting for their relationship to succeed. Though her friends might berate her for "screwing up" (literally), they value Sutton and her happiness above all, and are supportive of her relationship.

5. It clearly addresses serious issues, like sexual harassment on social media

No spoilers, but episode 3 deals with some pretty heavy material, specifically sexual harassment on Twitter. The way it is handled on the show is extremely well done, earning these writers and producers some bonus points for showcasing important material like this, and doing it justice.

6. Scarlet's editor-in-chief isn't a bitch

She is no Miranda Priestly, to say the least. While Jacqueline Carlyle was inspired by Joanna Coles, she is certainly not a replica of any other women in the magazine business today. You can best describe her as firm, but very supportive and always willing to lend a helping hand. As any boss, the employees are a bit intimidated by her, but only because her presence commands respect, not fear.

7. It's the empowering feminist show you've been waiting for

The women on this show are determined, inspiring, real women who are willing to stop at nothing to achieve what they want. Catch "The Bold Type" on Freeform for all the drama and more Tuesdays at 9/8c.