Bogotá: 2,600 Meters Closer To The Stars

Taking a closer look at one of Columbia's Most Alluring Travel Destinations.

515
Sergio Fernández Giraldo

Bogotá - is the thriving capital of a country that has only received negative press for the past several decades. Colombia is a much different country today than it was 15, or even 10 years ago; after all, it is one of the happiest countries on Earth.

(Panoramic View of Bogotá from Monserrate)

The fourth highest capital city in the world, Bogotá is nestled high in the Andes, in the heart of Colombia. The Bogotá Savanna is a massive plain, roughly three times the size of New York’s five boroughs, lying at 8,600 feet above sea level. The surrounding mountains reach heights of over 10,000 feet, providing a spectacular landscape while retaining a perfect subtropical highland climate.

(Northern Bogotá)

There is plenty to see and do in this vibrant Andean capital. It has been named a UNESCO City of Music and a UNESCO World Book Capital, hosting the annual Bogota International Book Fair. Bogotá also plays host to Colombia’s largest rock and alternative music festival - Estereo Picnic - which has grown exponentially since it began in 2010. There is also a series of concerts hosted throughout the year by the “Festivales al Parque” group.

(Ancient Incan Gold Artifact)

For those who prefer a more culturally historical perspective, the “Museo del Oro” features the world’s largest collection of pre-Hispanic gold artifacts from the indigenous groups of the Andes. Located near the Gold Museum is Bogotá’s historic center - “La Candelaria” - which features classic Spanish Colonial and Baroque architecture, as well as a number of universities. One such university is the University of the Andes, simply referred to as Los Andes, which consistently ranks amongst the top 10 in South America. Another special characteristic of Los Andes is that it sits just under a peak called Monserrate.

(View of Bogotá from Monserrate)

Monserrate, which rises 10,341 feet above sea level, gets its name from the monastery that was built on its peak in honor of Barcelona’s Montserrat. It began as a pilgrim destination, but the stunning views it offers quickly transformed it into one of the city’s major tourist attractions. Aside from the church, the peak now features a restaurant, street vendors, and other attractions for tourists. It can be accessed via funicular, cable car, or by foot (though not recommended).

Lastly, Bogotá boasts a thriving culinary scene that has taken off in the past several years. Whether you want traditional coastal cuisine or mountain cuisine, you’ll be able to find it in Bogotá. However, the selection is not limited to Colombian cuisine as two of the country’s most popular chains (with hundreds of locations throughout the city) are Crepes & Waffles (my personal favorite) and Hamburguesas El Corral. If you prefer a unique and vibrant dining experience Andrés DC is the place to go. The restaurant, a spin-off of Andrés Carne de Res in Chia (outskirts of Bogotá), is perched atop El Retiro shopping mall in the heart of Bogotá’s nightlife sector. Each floor is decorated to match different levels from Dante’s Divine Comedy, with floors like hell, purgatory, and heaven.

Whatever your interests may be, Bogotá should be on your travel list. As it is an extremely diverse and innovative city that will provide unforgettable memories.