Blues and Blackhawks Continue Great Rivalry

The NHL season has been nothing short of exciting and teams are starting to find exactly what they need, as the NHL All-Star Weekend approaches. Two teams have really stood out, and both have been dominant for the past couple of seasons. The Chicago Blackhawks, a powerhouse in the NHL for the past five years, and the young St. Louis Blues team have lived up to this rivalry, especially these past few years.

Last year's first round of the playoffs featured the Blues and the Blackhawks, which took six games to decide the series. It ended up being the Blackhawks, after going down 2 to 0 in the series, and then winning the next four straight games, to close it out and advance to the next round. Four of the six games went into overtime. If that doesn't show what the caliber of these two teams is, then I would like to know what does.

What makes this rivalry so much better is that in the beautiful college town of Columbia, Mo., these games are taken very, and I mean very, seriously. The mixture of St. Louis natives and Chicagoans butt heads almost every second the two teams are brought up in a conversation. The bars are beyond packed for the games, with a sea of blue on one side and a crowd of red taking over the other. It is almost a sure thing that if the season continues to go how it has, both teams will head back in the playoffs and may cross each other's paths, once again.  

The two rivals have seen each other twice, so far, this season. The Blues took the first one in St. Louis, in October, with a score of 2-1, and the Blackhawks took the second, in Chicago, in the beginning of December. They are scheduled to face off three more times in the regular season, one of these coming up in the beginning of February, and the other two in April, to close out the regular season.

With both of these cities supplying great teams, it always makes it interesting to see who will outplay the other on any given night.