If you notice your furry friend has bleeding gums, identify the cause, provide him with first aid treatment, and consult your vet specialist if the bleeding persists. You can also apply Yunnan Baiyao on the gum, rinse the mouth with hydrogen peroxide or apply ozonated oil on the gum. Keep reading to know how to stop bleeding gums , its causes, and treatments.
Reason for the bleeding gums
Apart from gingivitis, some reasons for bleeding gums in your pet include:
- Traumatic/oral lacerations: Dogs are playful animals and enjoy chewing toys. Dogs likely injure their gums with bone, toys, or their favorite “fetch” stick. To be on the safe side, take some of these harmful toys away from them.
- Gingivitis: This comes when the gingiva is irritated by rough chewing. On the other hand, poor dental care can cause gingivitis as well.
- Toxic Ingestion: Apart from chewing on complex objects, ingesting toxic stuff like rat bait, chocolates, etc., can lead to potential dog bleeding gums as a result of gum decay.
- Puppy teething: Puppies bleed when teething. If this is the case, you don’t have to panic. Your vet doctor will handle it professionally!
- Chronic diseases: Oral inflammation, kidney failure, fungal diseases, or cancer can cause gum bleeding. Once you notice unusual symptoms followed by bleeding gums, you should consult your clinic immediately.
Consequences of bleeding gums
From weight loss to chronic pain, bleeding gums have terrible effects on your feline. Here are some of them you should look out for:
- Weight loss
- Chewing with the side of the mouth with injured gum
- Excessive drooling
- Chronic pain
- Gum erosion
- Tooth loss
- Reduced appetite
- Ropey/bloody saliva
Solutions for bleeding gums
Apart from visiting the clinic, there are other ways to stop bleeding gums, including the application of ozonated oil, rinsing the mouth with hydrogen peroxide, and taking Yunnan Baiyao.
Applying ozonated oil is one of the best remedies for bleeding gum. The ozone oil has strong anti-bacterial properties and vitamin D that could stop bleeding and facilitate fast healing.
Rinsing your pup's mouth with hydrogen peroxide can reduce bacteria and subside bleeding. It is a disinfectant that can also remove plaque and facilitate gum health.
When the dog gum is bleeding uncontrollably, using Yunnan Baiyao is the best option. Yunnan Baiyao can instantly stop blood flow. It is a famous Chinese traditional medicine. It comes in capsules, infused bandages, or powders.
You can get Yunnan Baiyao in capsule form.
- For internal bleeding, give the capsule to the pet orally. But measure the weight of the dog to know the right dosage. If your dog weighs 10 lbs. give 1 capsule daily. If the weight is 10 to 30 lbs., give 1 capsule twice daily.
- If the dog has wounds, open the capsule and pour its powder on it.
Gum bleeding is an external injury. So, you can use Yunnan Baiyao, hydrogen peroxide, or ozonated oil.
Yunnan Baiyao is recommended for bleeding issues as it can stop internal bleeding (by swallowing the capsule) and external bleeding (by pouring the powder on the affected area).
These are exactly how to stop bleeding gums in your pet.