Don’t Blame BHS For Parents Who Forgot To Tell Their Kids The KKK Is Bad
Politics

It’s not Barrington High School’s fault that some girls don’t know what right versus wrong is.

376
Wordpress

If you’ve been on social media in the past week or so, you’d know that recently, a group of students from Barrington High School posted a picture on Snapchat referencing the KKK; they were wearing all white and had their hands up to represent the pointed hats that the KKK are known for wearing. You don't have to agree with my stance, but you do have to agree that that is in bad taste. the cover photo.

The girls have said that they were referring to the initials of a friend of theirs in the photo as it was her birthday or something along those lines. This would have been fine had they specified it and not put their hand up to represent the pointed hats and all white that the KKK are known for wearing. The girls have also said that if they weren’t white, then this wouldn’t be receiving the attention that it is getting.

There are few things in this day and age that should not be joked about; one being the KKK. This is a fact that all know are true regardless of their stance on this issue. This is a fact that all know is true regardless of their ethnicity or background. This is a fact that all know is true period. It is infuriating to think that a group of girls would find this an acceptable thing to post on social media.

Barrington High School has received a lot of backlash from this posting. People are blaming the school for not disciplining the girls enough and for “teaching white privilege.”

However, is it really a school’s responsibility to teach students how to be decent human beings?

No. That is solely up to the parents and the girls themselves. At this point, the girls will be seniors and have a full grasp on why they shouldn’t be posting about the KKK. It is up to them to decide whether or not they feel it is acceptable to reference it. This all comes from the way they were raised; not the high school they go to.

Though its reputation precedes it, the majority of the Barrington High School student population is aware of how others should be treated and does not succumb to the “white privilege” that it is so unfortunately known for. I should know on account of I was a student there and saw first hand the kindness in the majority of the students’ hearts. It is disgusting to think that this is the way that we are being misrepresented.

The girls should suffer any consequences that come from this event as it is wrong on so many levels. The issue should be taken up with them, their parents, and anybody else directly involved. However, Barrington High School is not to blame for what a handful of students believes is alright.