'Black Mirror' is Back And Bleaker Than Ever

"Arkangel" and "Crocodile" are terrifyingly real. Major spoilers ahead.

78
MAJOR SPOILERS: Read at your own risk.

It is barely 2018, and technology has seriously messed up our heads.

Netflix’s anthology series "Black Mirror" has bashed our already messed up heads with the side of our Macbook Pros, iPads and Amazon Echos. The series gives us personal narratives of how technology can literally kill us or worse yet, witness us doing unspeakable acts of cruelty and violence.

The commonality between all episodes is a device worn on both temples, which receives information from the brain’s auditory and visual cortex. Whatever information that is recorded on the device is stored, as if on the Cloud.

The fourth installment of the series aired on the 29th, right before we rang in the new year. “Arkangel” tells the story of single mother Marie and her daughter Sara. When Sara was a toddler, she got lost after following a cat in a park.

Just like any mother today or ever, she overreacted. This led her to Arkangel, a company that implants a tracking device into a subject’s temple. The device is basically a helicopter parent on steroids.

Not only can the device track Sara’s location and mental stats but can allow Marie to see Sara’s point of view on an iPad-like device.

There is also a parental control, which can blur out any unsettling images like sex or violence. It even blurs out Sara’s grandfather when the two are alone and he has a heart attack, which is the start of the device’s negative effects.

When Sara is seven, she becomes curious about what she is missing when an older boy named Trick tries to explain blood and violence, which makes her draw graphic pictures. This ultimately leads to Marie shutting off the device until Sara is 15.

Without the device, Sara turns into a relatively normal teenager. That all changes when Sara lies about being at a friend’s house when she is actually having sex with Trick, which brings Marie back to her old ways.

After seeing Sara experiment with cocaine from Trick, Marie forces Trick out of Sara’s life by blackmailing him. Marie goes too far when she puts emergency contraception pills into Sara’s smoothie, which causes Sara to become suspicious and find that her mother is again using Arkangel.

When Marie finds Sara at home, Sara beats her mother with the device intended to keep them both safe. The filters on her eyes are turned on one final time so she cannot see how much she is hurting her mother until the tablet breaks.

With the device broken, Marie can’t track Sara after she runs off for good. Jodie Foster, who directed the episode, explains that Marie ‘is victim to a self-fulfilling prophecy as she engendered the exact result that she most feared."

Being the grammar nerd that I am, I found out that the prefix “ark” is rooted from the Latin form “arca,” which is a “box or chest” that hides valuables, like a coffin. In the literal sense, Marie hid Arkangel from her daughter to keep Sara and their relationship safe.

In the figurative sense, Arkangel was almost the nail in Marie’s coffin because it led to Sara beating her with the device.

The episode "Crocodile" could possibly be the show’s darkest episode yet.

Successful businesswoman and mother, Mia Nolan, and investigator, Shazia, cross paths after Mia witnesses a road accident. Shazia uses a device called a Recaller to scan and verify a claimant’s memories.

Unbeknownst to Shazia, Mia hides a dark secret from her past and the night of the accident. Although she tries to hide the secret, the Recaller reveals her memories to Shazia, who Mia kills after it is clear the scans can’t be deleted.

Mia ultimately kills Shazia’s husband, who knew of his wife’s whereabouts and the couple’s baby. The real kicker is that Mia forgot one witness, a Guinea Pig in the baby’s room, which could also be scanned by the Recaller.

This emphasizes that technology will always prevail over mankind.

What is really terrifying is this is already happening. The Amazon Echo, also known as our loving friend Alexa, could just be a voice portal straight to Skynet. Terminator fans, you know how dangerous this can be.

It listens to commands without thinking of the implications of its “master.” It is technology, after all, so we shouldn’t give it a second thought.

Maybe not.

Whenever the Echo hears its name, it records all that we say and sends it to Amazon’s Cloud servers. In November 2015, there was a murder case in Arkansas where police used a recording from James Andrew Bates’ Amazon Echo to verify the killing of Victor Collins.

Of course, helping to solve a murder case is a good thing.

However, it certainly makes me wonder how else technology can betray us. So next time you use your Echo or any technology in between, be cautious of how you use it. What you say might just be back.

Hopefully, “Black Mirror” will teach us how to better use our technology in 2018. The reason why this season was so dark is because of how we use, or for a better word, abuse, our technology.

Perhaps next season will be a more optimistic view of the future, but that all depends on our actions in the new year. If not, we’ll be having our own Judgment Day.