A Black Knight To The Rescue

Yes, I Will Pursue A Career In Pediatric Oncology, And Yes I Still Have A Heart

Once you choose hope, anything is possible.

166

As you grow older, tons of people are always asking you what you want to be when you're older. The question is constantly asked. I have known what I personally wanted to be since the seventh-grade year, a nurse. I did not know specifically the specialty I wanted to do at that point. But for the past three years, I have been wanting to be a pediatric oncology nurse.

As a senior in high school, picking careers is crucial. Tons of people flood me all the time, asking me. I strictly tell them I want to get my bachelors in nursing and become a pediatric oncology nurse. They instantly begin to give negative responses to my choice, on what I want to be in life. They constantly tell me, "You can't have a heart to do that," "The children are always dying," "Why would you want to work in such a sad field" and so much more.

Here is my reasoning, I want to spread joy and smiles to all those children who are fighting. I want the excitement of working in the medical field, I want to be inspired by the work and the people.

Will I be sad, and will my happiness fade at times? Most definitely. I am fully aware of the hardships that come with working in this specific career path. Working with children who are going through the toughest times of their life is something I feel I can handle.

I want to choose to celebrate the good that comes out of this job. I want to choose to be positive and happy. I want to bring the smiles to those kids faces. I want to aspire the children and be inspired myself. I want to focus on the good. I know the children who live in the hospitals could be possibly dying, but what about those who are not.

What about those who get to ring the bell, after their treatment is done? I want to be there for all the kids and the parents.

These children never intended to have cancer at such an early age. The fact that they are so brave and courteous, is something I hope I could be. It is truly admirable. It would be an honor of mine to be able to work with them. Happiness can never be destroyed, but rather multiplied. I believe everyone is put on this earth for a different purpose.

These children need love and light in their life. These children never get to live a ''normal'' life. They sleep in hospital beds, they can't go to school, they can't have a play date with their friends, they can't go on all these adventures, they can't have a normal holiday at home, they spend their days with treatments, having surgeries, recovering from surgery and playing in the playroom.

But living in a hospital is something they never imagined.

Being a pediatric oncology nurse is not something everyone wants to do all the time. So many people frown upon being a nurse for kids with cancer. I personally do see myself become attached to a patient and I see myself staying at the hospital with a kid when my shift is over. I can see myself having lunch with the parents, I see myself driving home crying some nights and I see myself becoming personal with a patient.

So, that proves I do have a heart and I do want to work in this field. I will get discouraged and my hate for cancer will continuously grow. But, with all of that, I think the world needs more nurses for cancer kids. And I know I will strive to be the best oncology nurse I can be.

I know I can't cure their illness and I can't always bring the light to their day. But I can be such an amazing support system, an amazing friend and an amazing nurse to them.

My dream would be to get my bachelors and/or masters in nursing, then go through classes to get my certificate in becoming an oncology nurse for the kids and then possibly working at a Children's Hospital and/or St Jude.

If anyone gets a chance the National Pediatric Cancer Foundation, is ALWAYS accepting donations of all sorts. Check it out, if you are able too.

Always remember, every day holds the possibility of a miracle.