More Peas Please: It's Time for a Black Eyed Peas Comeback

Peas and love at the DNC

42

This week I was lucky enough to rock my body front row at Rock the Vote in Philly at the Democratic National Convention. Rock the Vote is a non-profit organization whose mission is "to engage and build the political power of young people" and to encourage young people to vote. Ty Dolla $ign and The Black Eyed Peas performed and encouraged us to vote.

In this election year, it is especially important that The Black Eyed Peas make a comeback, and I've got a feelingthat they might.

Black Eyed Peas consists of rappers will.i.am, apl.de.ap, Taboo and singer Fergie. The group was founded in LA in 1995, and by 2003 they won the hearts of America, including 90s kids with their thick iPod minis.

Their first album as the four Peas we know and love was Elephunk. From Elephunk came "Where Is The Love?", which became their first major hit. "Where Is the Love?" is especially applicable this election season. One of the lines, "overseas, yeah, we try to stop terrorism but we still got terrorists here livin'" addresses two of the major issues plaguing America and politics today: terrorists overseas and domestic terrorism.

Another line in the song is, "most of us only care about money makin.' Selfishness got us followin' the wrong direction" (cough Trump).

During the concert, the three peas who performed discussed Fergie's absence. They talked about how she went off and did her own thing, and they still support her and her success because they're still one big family. America should listen. During the DNC, Bernie supporters still protested and booed Hillary, despite her acceptance of the nomination and Bernie's support. Where is the love? The Democratic Party is still one family and the Bernie supporters need to finally throw their support behind Hillary if they want any chance of their party succeeding. Where would the Black Eyed Peas be if instead of supporting Fergie, they just held signs and booed her hiatus?

The Black Eyed Peas pumped up the crowd by talking about the importance of equal education, staying in school, and voting. I had the time of my life at the concert. The concert was like a time warp back to my elementary and middle school days of listening to the Black Eyed Peas albums on my pink iPod mini while riding the bus to school. Except in the days of yellow school buses, there was no alcohol involved, I didn't follow politics and my dance moves consisted of the macarena and cha-cha slide.

In April, will.i.am revealed that a reunion and a new album would take place shortly. Let's get it started quickly, Black Eyed Peas! The best time for the peas to get back in their pod is now.