No, Black Women Don't Care About White Beauty Standards In Society

Our bodies are for ourselves.

1063
Clarke Sanders

Recently I came across a Facebook post that I am sure was intended to be racist. But the hilarious epic fail got me thinking about how race plays a part in the differing standards of beauty between Black and white people in America.

Now, the post I saw was presented to one of those "political" groups on Facebook. You know...one of those pages where adults are supposed to be having in depth and enlightening conversations on various political matters, but instead post racist memes and continuously remind each other that, "It's okay to be white," because apparently someone said it wasn't.

Well, there was an image posted of the backs of Michelle Obama and two white women as they walked up a set of stairs. There was no caption, so initially I was kind of confused as to the context of the post. Then I read the comments and everything made much less sense.

One scruffy old white man replied with, "two Ferraris and a dump truck," and another responded with a meme that said, "the only pig acceptable to Muslims" over a picture of Michelle Obama eating. Poor Steve and John (no, I'm not being stereotypical or funny, those really were their names) really thought they were taking a dig at our favorite First Lady, Michelle.

Thankfully I wasn't the only one who looked at the image and saw two skinny ass white women and Michelle coming through the the cakes. There were a few other Black people who popped up to state "our" very obvious which was, Black people generally favor a curvier body shape so it was by far a null insult.

Now, I'm sure the posting of the image wasn't purely to body shame. Politics and the racist white-lashing the Obama's have faced for the past 9 years clearly played a factor, but I feel something needs to be said about white supremacy and it's link to beauty ideals.

One way white supremacy manifests itself is in our societal standard of beauty. When whiteness becomes our overarching standard of beauty, white people are considered to be more attractive.

Lets get to the point, the standard of beauty in the white community and the standard of beauty in the Black community are complete polar opposites, and I'm honestly confused as to why this isn't common knowledge to people who aren't Black. We clearly generally look different, and if we didn't like it, we would change it. While we are taught through media and other platforms that we are supposed to think there is a singular beauty standard for women, we sorta just do our own thing and it hilariously makes racists big mad. And, surprisingly people who aren't Black are ignorant to this fact.

Since we're keeping this 100%...to any white male reading this, I'm going to let you in on a little secret, Black women don't care what you think! And let me take this a step further and say, the majority of Black women aren't checking for you in the first place, so have a set.

The white standard is of course what we have been conditioned to see as the ideal standard for women. This standard consists of the run-of-the-mill size two, tall blond with fair skin, deep blue eyes and a slim nose. We see this beauty ideal day in and day out splashed across our media and in ads. They are Victoria Secret models, they convince us that we need to "lash blast" our eye lashes and we routinely watch them shave a single leg or rub lotion into a single shoulder.

Now, most of us Black women uninterruptedly gloss over these intended "reminders" of white supremacy and continue moistening our fros because for us, larger behinds, thicker thighs, bigger lips and a little extra sum-sum around the mid-section are a part of OUR standard of beauty.

I imagine Michelle Obama has seen this meme (that I refuse to taint my article with), or similar memes, seeing as how shes been attacked day in and day out for almost a decade (because of "politics") And I'm sure she thought to herself, "girl bye, with them chicken legs," because that's exactly what I said.

And if one feels like I am the one attacking a certain body type, because people always want to play the victim card, please understand that I am 100% unapologetic as Black women have been forced to be the "butt" of every "body shaming" joke since the days of colonization.

The bodies of Black people and Black women in particular have been caged for petting zoo's, used for horrific medical experiments and mocked. And though all of that Black women still fully embrace their bodies and so do Black men.

We don't necessarily praise small tits or a flat ass, because they are not a must have. They aren't a sign of health or fitness, and to be fair, those of us who have them eat greens and do squats. We also don't see the importance of a thigh gap or spend thousands of dollars on creams and lasers to get rid of cellulite or stretch marks because as Katt Williams said, " [it just means] you was either big and got small or you was small and got big."

And don't even get me started on the aspect of fair skin whilst their are shelves lines up with orange cream things and other tanning products. For us, the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice. And we're okay with that juice not being for everyone, so boy, bye!

My point is...if you're not a Black women, your opinions on the way we look haven't the least bit of importance. Our bodies are for ourselves.