Throw Away That Old Shirt And The Bitterness You Bought With It, It's Time For Spring Cleaning
popular

Forgiving may be harder, but it's far less painful than the resentment you're harboring.

571
Amanda Holt

When I was a freshman in high school, I went through so much petty girl drama. What teenage girl didn't? Looking back, I know now how stupid it all was, but it meant the absolute world to me at 14-years-old.

I remember feeling betrayed by someone I thought was a close friend. So while shopping at Forever 21, I bought a shirt that read the words from Luke 6:31 .

"Do to others as you would have them do to you."

The shirt, for those who know about the drama, was another passive-aggressive, petty move by an insecure teenage girl. In my head, I thought that maybe she would read it and understand what she did to me. Maybe she'd be convicted of all the wrong she did and apologize. And I did wear it.

All throughout high school and even a year in college, the shirt was in my closet available to wear. Every time I wore it, I thought of her and her betrayal.

The shirt was supposed to empower me, but the power I felt when first purchasing it diminished each and every time I wore it. Each time I never got an apology reminded me of the hurt that she had caused me.

Now reading in Luke 6, I am reminded of that shirt and how I completely let the verse be taken out of context. I let it justify the anger and resentment I held towards this one girl.

The passage says this:

"Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you...Do to others as you would have them do to you."

I'll admit. It was easier wearing that shirt and parading it around so SHE would recognize that SHE was wrong. It's not as easy recognizing just how wrong I was.

It was ME.

I wish I could go back and wear that shirt again. I wish I used it as a reminder to love her, to be good to her, to bless her, and to pray for her. Now, most 14-year-old girls don't think about it that way, but I think about it a lot now.

I wish I had thrown away that shirt long before I did. With it, I harbored so much anger and bitterness.

Maybe there's someone you're holding a grudge against or there's someone you're having a hard time loving. Let this be a reminder that the resentment and pride you feel of being right does not compare to the peace and joy you receive in forgiving and loving.

It's time to take the log out of our eyes and realize that we're the ones in the wrong if we choose to hold the grudge rather than extend grace to the ones who hurt us.

No, it's not easy.

But thankfully we have a God that does - what seems to us - the impossible.

I urge you friends, throw away that shirt and the bitterness that comes with it.

"Get rid of all bitterness, passion, and anger. No more shouting or insults, no more hateful feelings of any sort. Instead, be kind and tender-hearted to one another, and forgive one another, as God has forgiven you through Christ."
Ephesians 4:31-32