Birth Control Doesn't 'Induce Abortion,' Ted Cruz, — That's Not Politics, That's Science
Currently

No one is out here attacking the male condom, so leave birth control pills and other contraceptive methods that prevent pregnancy alone.

1230

Forget politics or religion, this is legitimate healthcare, this is sexual health education, this is freedom.

When discussing The Little Sisters of the Poor Saints Peter and Paul Home v. Pennsylvania case, Republican Senator Ted Cruz referred to birth control pills as "abortion-inducing drugs" and it's just plain wrong. Let's get one thing straight, birth control pills affect a born female's hormones to prevent ovulation and, thus, fertilization. It's not abortion-inducing drugs or the same as an abortion pill because it doesn't end a pregnancy. Why is this still a conversation? And why are supposedly educated politicians using non-scientific rhetoric to push political agendas?

Put your political and religious beliefs aside because I'm not attacking anyone for their individual ideas. I am, however, here to help spread straight cold facts backed up by scientific evidence. For instance, abortion is not murder as a fertilized egg, an embryo, and a fetus are far from a baby; instead, the medical procedure enables, promotes, and encourages the livelihood of many individuals. Additionally, research reveals that women who are denied wanted abortions "... were more likely than were women who received an abortion to experience economic hardship and insecurity lasting years."

It is not a woman's duty to have children and sex is not just for family planning. Safe sex is fun, pleasure-filled, and satisfying. In this way, birth control access and allowing individuals to have control over their own bodies is imperative.

Ted Cruz is really out here acting like a gynotician who thinks he has the authority to make your personal health care decisions. Yet, you with the help of your doctor are the only people who can make those decisions. We have such thing as autonomy when it comes to healthcare and I will fight for that until the end.

No one is out here attacking the male condom, so leave birth control pills and other contraceptive methods that prevent pregnancy alone. And, yes, that includes emergency contraception, like the morning-after-pill, that helps prevent fertilization and is also not abortion.

Contraceptive care and abortions are essential parts of healthcare that scientifically sustains life — period.