I Binged 'Gilmore Girls' And Realized It's Not A Show, It's A Lifestyle, It's A Religion

Spoilers ahead!

1438
The CW

During my endless free time throughout quarantine, I decided to binge-watch a show. One of my best friends is obsessed and has told me to watch it for years.

So now I ran out of excuses and sat down to watch all seven seasons of "Gilmore Girls," and the sequel series "Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life."

I immediately fell in love with the show and I was so hooked that I finished within a month, which is crazy, but what else did I have to do? After watching it and processing the whole show, I now have some thoughts about the show.

Jess is Rory's best boyfriend, no question.

Jess is a recurring character in seasons 2 and 3 that comes to town to stay with Luke, his uncle. Jess is seen as a trouble maker, and not a very good kid according to the townspeople.

Jess was everything Rory needed to balance her out. He was a "bad boy", but he could also keep up with her by offering intellectual and deep conversation (that she never had with Dean or Logan). When Rory fell off her path, Jess was always there to steer her in the right direction and he was always supportive of her.

He never showed emotions too much, but one of my favorite moments is when Jess bought Rory's basket, outbidding her current boyfriend Dean because he really liked her and wanted to get to know her. Sadly, Jess and Rory don't end up together, but hopefully, their paths will cross once again.

The end of season 6 and the beginning of season 7 is just terrible.

Luke and Lorelai were doing so well, they were the true power couple of the series (sorry Rory and Jess). I wanted Luke and Lorelai to get together since the very first episode, and when it finally happened in season 4 I was thrilled.

They were the definition of relationship goals, they just understood each other so well. So when they broke up because Luke found out he had a daughter and started ignoring Lorelai, I was depressed. Then to find out she went to Christopher's house to hook up with him, I was infuriated.

Then she and Chris started and relationship and got married on a whim in France! I saw none of that coming. That whole duration of 10 episodes is the maddest I have ever been at a show. Luckily, she broke it off with Chris and ended up with Luke (thank God!!).

Emily Gilmore is a queen and the best character hands down.

Emily Gilmore is a fashion icon, a wife, mother, grandmother, and a total badass. She carried the whole show for seven seasons, and in the sequel too.

Now yes, Emily constantly gets on my nerves and she would almost try to ruin Lorelai's life at some points, but she was fantastic. She always stood her ground, and always tried to do what was best for her family. She has the wittiest comebacks, my personal favorite being "Hold on. I'm looking up 'aneurysm' in our medical dictionary to see if I just had one," while talking to Lorelai on the phone.

She showed that you can be a housewife and support your husband while also being a strong independent woman who stands up for herself and her family, and has a life of her own.

Rory quitting Yale was the worst plot line ever.

Rory was the smartest person on the show and deserved to go to Yale. Then she decided to quit just because Mr. Huntzberger told her she didn't have "it". Rory was a strong-willed, independent girl that knew what she wanted from life from the first episode we saw her in. So at the end of season five, she just decides to give up on her lifelong dream? Rory put someone's opinion of her own, and she let it influence her.

While she was out of school, she started to change. She went to DAR meetings and was friends with all of the housewives. She became even more snobby and really only cared about status. Rory never wanted that life, and now all of sudden she does? Even her boyfriend at the time, Logan, didn't like that she dropped out either, and was starting to not like her anymore.

Then, by saving grace, Jess came back and steered her onto her path again. Jess told her that she would never be happy with how she's living and that she needed to go back. After her talk, she decided to enroll at Yale the following semester, and even graduate on time.

Again, more evidence of why Jess is perfect for her.

Overall, I really did enjoy watching Gilmore Girls so much that I might have to re-watch it again just because I can!