Bill Clinton and #MeToo: Can they fit in the same sentence?

How Does Bill Clinton Fit Into the World of #MeToo?

How does #MeToo justly decide which perpetrators are to remain in our society?

452
https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1620/25348142743_f33e827eaa_b.jpg

Over a decade ago, Tarana Burke began what is now known today as the #MeToo Movement. As a campaign revolved around spreading awareness of the gravity of sexual offenses, #MeToo strives to encourage courage, confidence, and compassion to the survivors of sexual assault in our world.

By saying "Me, Too" survivors represent the mass scale which survivors can relate to each other by experiencing these traumatic moments of vulnerability and abuse. And while the focus of #MeToo righteously calls attention to the magnitude of sexual assault in our sex-crazed society, there are numerous imperfections and inconsistencies associated with the movement.

As a female college student, I have quickly learned how to adjust to a college environment where sexual assault is a serious issue that plagues many. Despite my Catholic college campus, I realize that sexual assault plays a large role on any college campus, And as a female, this unfortunate reality never leaves my mind whenever I step off campus or into a different atmosphere. As a result, I aim to always be mindful of myself and others in whatever situation I may be in.

#MeToo is the outreach for those who have been afflicted by any form of unwanted sexual advances. It encompasses a multitude of elements of sexual assault, ranging from sexual harassment and stalking to any form of abuse or rape. And for many females on college campuses, #MeToo serves as a safe place to reassure victims that they are not alone. And overall, I think this generation has rightfully given survivors the platform to not only courageously tell their stories but speak out against sexual assault.

Therefore, I appreciate the lengths which the #MeToo movement has taken these past few years to bring these issues into the light of the public eye, and I hope by doing this, it will inspire a new generation of empathy and love.

However, in a world full of #MeToo, there are some double standards. In a world full of "locker room talk," there remain various doubts about #MeToo's consistency as a movement. For example, #MeToo aims to support survivors of sexual offenses while revealing the power dynamic which allowed for the aggression of the male perpetrators.

This power dynamic allowed Hollywood stars such as Bill Cosby, Matt Lauer, Bill O'Reilly, Harvey Weinstein, and more to continue their sexual crimes against women whose allegations were powerless against these men of such prestige. And while these celebrities ought to be publically condemned for their horrific offenses, #MeToo struggles to remain consistent when other celebrities are unfairly or barely condemned for their offenses.

For example, some supporters of #MeToo fail to recognize the magnitude of Bill Clinton's sexual misconduct towards women.

While most newspapers quickly resort to the Monica Lewinsky scandal, a consensual affair which spoke volumes about President Clinton's moral stature rather than questions his abusive nature towards women. However, what about the countless women who have accused President Clinton of sexual misconduct? Why do their testimonies fail to make headlines or news articles in this generation of #MeToo? Why do thousands of Americans continue to patronize Bill Clinton despite these various allegations? What makes him different from a Weinstein or Lauer?

Is Bill another puzzle piece to the larger problem, is he not another symbol for patriarchal power in the political atmosphere of our generation?

Why does Aziz Ansari, a Hollywood actor condemned by #MeToo for a lack of communication on a first date, get ostracized from society when Bill Clinton, a man with a multitude of sexual allegations behind him, a man who perjured himself in front of the American people, a man who desecrated the Oval Office, his marriage, and the life of an equally responsible, young White House intern, gets to walk away like a free man?

Why does #MeToo exist in a society which acclaims "Fifty Shades of Grey" as our decade's most heart-throbbing romance? How does #MeToo progress within a society that regards Chris Brown as one of the most talented and wealthy hip-hop artists of our time? How does #MeToo justly decide which perpetrators are to remain in our society? Until #MeToo can find an adequate answer to these concerns, I am afraid that a movement as necessary as this cannot be fully endorsed.

Maybe #MeToo will serve a greater purpose in a society that demands complete respect for women--when our Presidents will not engage in childish banter designated for a locker room, and when our most wealthy political family units will not contain sexual offenders with no moral compass, when entertainment industries will condemn movies, music, and art that promotes abusive relationships, when the reputations of celebrities are not heartlessly destroyed by a misinterpretation of a first encounter. Then, and only then, can #MeToo successfully present its message, condemning all acts of sexual assault no matter the status of the perpetrator.