"Bigger Love"- A Bigger Impact

"Bigger Love"- A Bigger Impact

John Legend's newest album Bigger Love is a tasteful collection of emotional music that will prove to inspire our generation for years and continue to help get us through the hard times.

10
"Bigger Love"- A Bigger Impact

As we all know 2020 has not been the easiest year for anyone and the music industry is not exempt from that statement. However, many artists have been joining together during these tough times to use their music and platforms to help people process a global pandemic and a global movement to combat racism.

Music tends to be an outlet for many in times of emotional distress or even to celebrate something amazing happening. I would say that many artists agree that emotions are expressed through a few minutes of lyrics and a catchy tune but can ultimately help people get through life. Lucky for us, the eleven-time Grammy winner, John Legend released his album, Bigger Love. He said that one of the goals of this release was to remind listeners that "This album is a celebration of love, joy, sensuality, hope, and resilience, the things that make our culture so beautiful and influential." The songs in this album have the ability to stand alone and climb the charts, but together this will shatter records.

Bigger Love has features with several different artists, including the legendary guitarist, Gary Clark Jr., Jhene Aiko, Koffee, and several others. Rolling Stone and MTV made comments on the album stating that some songs are a "dancefloor-ready pop song", "a tear-jerker", and "the world's sweetest vows". If these statements don't get you excited to listen to the entire album, I'm not sure what will.

In an interview, John shares his views on the BLM movement stating that "During these painful times, some of us may wonder if it's ok to laugh or dance or be romantic," Legend says. "Lately, the images of black people in the media have been showing us with knees on our necks, in mourning, or expressing our collective outrage. We feel all those emotions. But it's important for us to continue to show the world the fullness of what it is to be black and human. Through our art, we are able to do that."

This album is tasteful, full of so many raw emotions that are sure to inspire whatever mood you are in. The album starts with the song "Ooh Laa" a slower song with hip-hop-inspired grooves which Legend describes as catchy "Doo Wapp-Trap".

The second song "Actions", samples a similar sound to Snoop Dog's 2011 song "The Next Episode", but with a more mellow twist. Throughout the 16-song album, you can hear the different instrumental elements that contribute to different hip-hop, R&B, Bohemian sounds that influenced John Legend and his artist features.

Down the list of songs, he introduces Gary Clark Jr., to the Bigger Love album with the song "Wild"; which accurately describes the guitar solos and the road-trip metaphors throughout. This song embodies a strong and passionate love with 80's sounding guitar riffs that turns what could have been a slow song into an epic ballad and makes those teenage dreams of a brand-new car and a relentless love come to life again.

While Legend is notorious for singing his soulful and heart-throbbing romance songs, this album showcases the diversity in his music and has a song to fit in every playlist mood.

The soulful song with Jhene Aiko, "U Move I Move", already has begun climbing his ranked discography and deserves a high-ranking spot in the album.

The eleventh and sixteenth songs, "Conversations in the Dark" and "Never Break" have already begun to find their way entangled in newly married love and first dance songs. These will most definitely be at several weddings you attend in the next few years.

This is an album that I believe we needed during these hard times. It holds a reminder that raw emotions are okay to feel, that we are capable of standing strong and that together we will get through the hard times. I see a future Grammy on the rise.

The link to the album is below!

Bigger Love- Stream Now On All Platforms