A Bible Verse For Every Emotion of Finals Week

For when you are standing on the line between giving up and seeing how much more you can handle.
88

The time is upon us yet again - Finals Week. High school and college kids already get less than the recommended amount of sleep, but this is the one week out of the year where sleep is almost nonexistent. And food? Also nonexistent unless consumed during a study break. Students struggle to get their D's up to C's and their C's up to A's and B's, so here are a few bible verses to look at during every different emotion you might feel during finals week.

For Stress:

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid (John 14:27).

I think that every single college student experiences stress at some point when preparing for finals. Actually, I think every person on the planet experiences stress. Some people stress the most when making notecards, and some when actually taking the test. No matter when you stress the most, keeping this verse close to your heart will give you some peace.

For Anxiety:

Cast your cares upon the Lord, and He shall sustain you: He will never let the righteous be shaken. (Psalm 55:22).

Lack of sleep, lack of appetite, panic attacks - OH MY! Some people have more anxiety than others, but I know that test anxiety is very real. If you suffer from bad anxiety, pray pray pray that God will lift some of the worry off of you. Pray that God will calm your nerves, and he will not allow you to be shaken!

For Self-Control:

A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control. (Proverbs 29:11)

I was the kid who got "Unsatisfactory" on my report card for self control. Don't you hate when you're in the library trying to cram for your final, and someone won't stop clicking their pen? Or they bring in a snack and are so loud unwrapping the wrapper? And taking a test is nearly impossible. There is nothing worse than being in the middle of a hard test, and everyone starts to finish and get up - that is probably the most distracting thing ever. So, Lord, please help us all and give us a little self-control to survive this week.

For a Good Attitude:

Your attitude should be the same as that of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 2:5)

Some people have the best attitudes going into final. They are confident that they know the material, and they feel well-prepared. However, some people are the exact opposite. They fret that they don't know any of the material well enough and that they're surely going to fail. What would Jesus do during finals week? I think he would hold the door open for the girl holding 30 books as she is walking into the library. I think he might even pay for the person in line after him at Starbucks. And if he is courageous as I think he was, he might pray with the person sitting beside him right before the test. Be like Jesus during finals week.

For Discouragement:

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous; do not be afraid or dismayed: for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9)

Everyone will probably experience this feeling if they haven't already. You study for hours and hours for your hardest class. You have to make a 90 on the exam to have a B for the semester. You go in for the test feeling like you've got it. You get the test and feel like you don't know anything. This is practically the dictionary definition of discouragement. But that's alright, because God is with us wherever we go, especially when we are taking those hard finals.

For Temptation:

If simple men entice you, do not consent. (Proverbs 1:10)

I'm just going to leave this one here. Many students have many opportunities to cheat. Cheating your way through school probably won't get you very far in life, so just try and refrain.

For Doubt:

...Stop doubting and believe. (John 20:27)

I can't count how many times someone has asked me prior to a test if I was ready. Every time, I say, "I'm about to fail the crap out of this test. I'm going to make a 20." In my mind, I know what I am capable of but I still have doubts that I really am about to fail. I know a lot of people who think the same thing during finals. God shows us doubt so that we can learn what faith is. You can do it!

For Wisdom:

Blessed are those who find wisdom, and those who gain understanding. (Proverbs 3:13)

I love the beginning of the Serenity Prayer, which says, "God, grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change; courage to change things I can; and wisdom to know the difference." If you fail a final, it is too late to change the outcome. However, it is not too late to try harder in your next course. But if you gave it your all and tried your best, then you should be proud of yourself for having enough wisdom to know that you could not have done any better.

For Relief:

Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)

There is no better feeling than finishing that last test and knowing that you get to go spend the next month with your family and friend. A never-ending week full of deadlines, cramming, and taking finals is finally over - and you feel truly relieved. By this point, you are exhausted and you want rest. And Jesus tells us to head on home for your comfortable bed and mom's food for a little while before starting all over again next semester.

It always seems impossible until it is done. Happy finals week, and may the curve be ever in your favor.