Being Single Is What's Best For Me Right Now

I'm Single And That's OK For Me

Right now, I'm better off alone. And that's okay.

342

I talked to a few boys. I've flirted with a few. I thought I was going to date one of them. I ended up blocking one.

Some of my friends, on the other hand, are in relationships. One is in a long-distance one because he is in the Marines, another friend other lives with her boyfriend and another goes to college 3 hours away from hers.

At this moment, they are all very happy in their relationships. However, I've seen some people that I know end up in not-so-happy ones.

I've seen some of their significant others end up in jail, I've seen them break up and even get divorced.

After seeing all of these things and coming to terms with things that have happened in my own past "relationships," if you want to call them that, I think that I'm better off alone for right now.

Sure, I'm only 22. I've got my whole life ahead of me to worry about falling in love and having a kid or two, but right now, I'm not focusing on that.

People have told me that they ask their boyfriends if they can do certain things and that just blows my mind. Maybe it's because I'm not dating anyone and I don't quite understand, but answering to anyone other than your parents does not settle well with me.

I like doing my own thing. I like traveling for concerts. I like staying out late doing things with my friends. I like spending my hard-earned money on myself. Having to ask someone if I can do these things just seems weird.

I know it's a sign of respect, and I can understand that, but it's something I can't wrap my head around.

In addition to doing my own thing, I think I'm better off alone because of how busy I am.

Right now, it's summer, so the only thing I'm doing is (pretty much) working full-time and attending concerts, but during the school year, it gets crazy.

Sometimes, I'm at school for 12 to 14 hours a day, not to mention that I also have a job at school, so my attention is divided between assignments and job duties.

I usually don't get home until evening, and by that point, I'm too tired to do anything else, so all I do is eat dinner and climb in bed to prepare for my next 12 hour day.

This wouldn't be fair to my boyfriend if I had one. What's the point in dating someone if you're going to put them on the back burner and not be able to actually spend some time with them until the weekend, when even then your time is limited?

Being so young, I've got a good chunk of time ahead of me, which is frightening in itself to even begin thinking about.

I'll happily support all of my friends who are currently in relationships and I wish them all the best, but for now, I think I'm happiest doing my own thing, making money and building a successful career, and that's okay.