The 8 Best And Worst Things About A Small College

Going to a small college can be awesome, but it's not perfect. Here's a list of my favorite and least favorite things.

151
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/03/30/6365802028485360701861800840_butler-university-irwin-library-57f923b95f9b586c3576a006.jpg

Going to a small college is great, most of the time. I enjoy the community feel at Butler, but sometimes we all get the need to escape the Butler Bubble. Here are my favorite and least favorite things about going to a small college.

1. Yay: You always see people you know

Are you going to Starbucks to study? You'll probably see at least five people you know. It's nice to go to a small school when you're feeling social and want to chat with friends. If there's only one sophomore dorm, you'll see friends when you're getting on the elevator or studying in the common rooms.

2. Boo: You ALWAYS see people you know

Do you look like a potato? Did you just do something embarrassing? Someone who knows you definitely saw. Sometimes you just want to get to Starbucks on a Saturday morning so you can buy some caffeine and go back to you room to hide, but you can't seem to leave your room without seeing somebody you know.

3. Yay: Classes with people you know

When it comes to group projects or just trying to decipher difficult assignments, you've always got a team of people to help you out. When there's only two sections of a class every psychology major must take, you'll know at least one person in your class.

4. Boo: Not enough classes

There are never enough classes being held. Freshman sometimes take 12 hours because they can't get into more classes than that. There are only 20 spots in all of the classes you need and they're all being held at the same time.

5. Yay: Your professors know you

It's nice to have professors who recognize your face and care about you. It makes emails much easier when you don't have to remind them who you are and what class you have with them.

6. Boo: Your professors know if you skip

When there's only 15 people in your class, it's fairly obvious when you're not there. Most of my classes only accept one or two absences for the entire semester. It's great motivation for going to class but sometimes you just need sleep more than you need an hour long lecture about biology.

7. Yay: Short walks

A small campus means the distance from your dorm to your classroom is fairly short. I've left my room five minutes before class started and been on time! I frequently go to my sorority house, the library, the gym and many other places on campus because of how close they all are to one another.

8. Boo: Living in a bubble

The Butler Bubble is real. Being on campus for too long can drive ya mad. There's nothing near campus that you can really walk to, so you rarely leave campus. Driving off campus to Target or a coffee shop is a weekly NEED.

I love Butler and I enjoy going to a small college, but sometimes I wish our school was a little bigger.