5 Of The Best Things About Being Home For The Summer

"Oh! I forgot you were home."

79

Since my last day of school, it has been go, go, go for me and my parents. As soon as I got home I went to go spend time at my family's restaurant, then spent the day organizing my room because of the absurd amount of stuff that I brought home. I, then, got to celebrate two people, my father, and step-father for Father's Day. While the entire time my mom had been talking about getting a puppy. Even though I feel as though I have not gotten the chance to sit and rest, it feels amazing to be home for the summer and here is five reasons why:

The food!

I'm lucky that I am not a picky eater, because if I was, I'm not sure I would survive eating at the dining hall in college. While I mean no disrespect to the people who work hard at the dining halls, the food there is just not my favorite. As I've mentioned previously, my dad owns a restaurant so since being back I've gotten to enjoy the food there. I, also, have been lucky to enjoy my dad and mom's homemade cooking that I missed while away at college.

No schoolwork.

A lot of people think it's weird that I enjoy doing homework. To me, it can be a form of stress relief, especially if I'm reading and taking notes. However, this year, schoolwork started to become a big pain for me. Being in three classes that were extremely reading heavy took a lot of the fun out of reading. Now that I'm home, it's nice to not have to worry about reading one hundred pages of articles/books for the next day.

Sleeping as much as I please.

I've always been somewhat of a night owl, which makes it so that mornings are an especially hard time for me. When I was in college, I would get up at 9:30 a.m. for a 10:00 a.m. class. I know it's not the healthiest, but sleeping in gives me great joy. Now that I'm back at home I have no obligations so I can sleep in as much as I want. In fact, today, I slept until one in the afternoon and felt great about it.

Spending time with old friends.

I'm from a smaller, suburb city right outside of Tacoma, Washington where the community is fairly tight-knit. The kids that I graduated with I had known since kindergarten. Many of my best friends in high school went to different colleges across the United States. It has been fun to be back and talk to them about their different experiences that they've personally had while away at college. Being with them again has made me feel like I'm back in elementary school. In my opinion, older friends can be some of my best friends.

Being with family.

The thing that I missed the most while I was away at Western was my family. It had been a rough year for everyone in my family and being apart from them made it worse for me at times. It has been fun trying to catch my parents and brothers up on everything that has happened while I was at college. I, also, think my brothers missed me a great deal especially because as soon as I got back home, my brothers and I have bought matching American flag rompers and paraded around the neighborhood announcing that I've returned.

As much as I'm going to miss my college friends, I've been extremely happy to be back in my old stomping ground. I'm ready to spend these next few months hanging out as much with my family as possible, which I never wanted to do when I was in High school but sometimes you don't realize how much you're missing something until you don't have it anymore.