If Someone Tells You To Go To A Rave You Need To Listen To Them

It's just one of those things you have to see to believe.

245
Abby Cihlar

When most people think of a rave, perhaps they envision a cluster of sweaty, rebellious youth dancing to techno music whilst under the influence of various drugs; like those of the 80s. Perhaps they envision organized chaos and misfits. Or perhaps they don't know much about at all - like me.

I recently went to my first rave with my boyfriend. My friend group at home mostly consisted of hippies and partiers, and they all loved to rave. They were always telling me it was an experience everyone should have in their lives and something I would not regret doing it - even if I wasn't into the music. I never understood the appeal to it because the music wasn't really my thing until about a year later.

I had been to several other concerts and music festivals before, so I just said f*** it pretty much and decided to go based on pure spontaneity.

I had an idea of what to expect based on what my friends had told me but I went into it with an open mind nonetheless and embraced all it had to throw towards me.

Our arrival at the venue was the first interesting thing I observed. Along the side of the Aragon Ballroom formed a line containing people of all different kinds. Different ethnic backgrounds, religions, sexual orientations and even ages all came together to freeze in the Chicago weather and are united by one experience. As we walked down the line of frigid ravers, I couldn't help but notice how friendly everyone was towards one another.

Strangers became friends all within the span of 15 minutes through conversations of past raves, favorite artists, and the anticipation of the night.

It was a judgment-free environment, where everyone was welcomed.

After we got past security pat-downs, everyone began taking off their various layers of clothing revealing their striking outfits and accessories. Tye-die shirts, psychedelic patterned scarves, and colorful Kandi beads littered the crowd. A few brave girls wore tank tops and crop topped leggings in order to keep cool amongst the masses.

Some people brought LED finger gloves, balloons, and kaleidoscope glasses to entertain the crowd during the show. It was like entering a whole new world filled with colors, lights, and exhilaration.

The heavy bass vibrated the floorboard beneath us as we walked on to the ballroom. Once the crowd began to thicken around nine the atmosphere became electrified. The smell of smoke, beer, and sweat marinated everyone it touched and became just another aspect that everyone came to accept.

The openers came on one after another and pumped up the crowd more and more each minute. They strategically played drops that blended in smoothly together. Each one unique in the way each artist layered the bass, drum, vocals and ornamental sounds together. It was incredible to see how the building and the night were coming to life.

10:30. The openers finally came to a close; the lights turned off, the music came to a stop, and the audience was totally fired up.

10:45. Lights. Visuals. Music. It was time. Datsik opened his set with a long build-up to his intro song. Building, building, building... drop. Lights. Visual. Music. Everyone went wild.

It was in that moment that I felt it.

I felt connected. Connected to the music, connected to the people, connected to the world. A sensation of oneness and unity euphorically rushed over me and I finally understood everything my friends had talked about. Headbangers in the front of the crowd violently shook the rail letting the music take over them. Oh, the rail. Drunk and stoned on-goers around us were at the peaks of their high.

Everyone was smiling and laughing and dancing with joy. It was one massive party and the music was not only the host but the guide. Everything was fair game.

It felt incredible to be alive in that space and time with everything surrounding us.

As our night came to a close, I realized my friends were right along - it was something everyone had to experience to understand. Writing alone can't even do the experience justice. Peace, love, unity, and respect dominated the morality of the night, making it a welcome environment for everyone who attended.

Looking back on it now, I've realized how it was an event that humbled me thereafter. If everyone treated each other the way they do at raves, the world would be a different place, perhaps a more peaceful place. It's an interesting phenomenon that one can feel so at home amongst a mass of sweaty headbanging strangers. At the end of each show, a familial bond is formed and everyone is given something to rejoice over.

Music has the power to elevate us to higher vibrations, and when enjoyed amongst thousands of people, a sensation of love rushes over everyone it touches. As rave culture becomes more prominent throughout our society, the layers of its intricacy start to unveil themselves. It's all so simple though; we are not here for a long time, so we might as well enjoy the time we have now in a state of peace and respect.