7 Places To Go In The U.S. Before You Decide Where You Want To Settle

Each part of the United States has its own unique culture.
102

One of my travel goals in my lifetime is to hit all 50 states. A lot of people can say the same, of course. So far I've hit almost half of them, so I've got a little way to go. In my experience, each region of the United States feels like a different world. Before you decide where you want to live for the rest of your life, here are some places you can go to experience some culture and make sure that you make the best decision you can. I've listed some expensive cities on here, so plan accordingly.

1. San Francisco, California

My best friend and I had the opportunity to travel there a couple years ago. We were really struck by the stark difference in the level of wealth people have. It's one of the most expensive cities in the world, but there is definitely a poor population. It's rich in culture and is unlike any city you will experience.

2. Any beach, but at least one on each coast

The beach is refreshing and will soothe your soul. Take a trip to the beach to experience the laid-back atmosphere. Living by the water and taking it slow is its own kind of lifestyle. Maybe I felt that just because I've only been on beaches during vacation?

3. Hawaii

I know Hawaii is expensive, but ideally, you should travel here before deciding where to settle. I love the islands and the rich history they have. The culture is beautiful, and it is crazy to drive across an island and just see ocean and mountains everywhere. It is a long way from the mainland, though.

4. Any small town

I went to college in a small town and have visited others (mostly in the Midwest). You will know pretty quickly if a small town feel is for you or not. There's something charming about them, but not everyone can live in one long term. Towns like St. Joseph, Michigan or Eureka, Illinois are the perfect towns to see if you would fit in.

5. Washington, D.C.

If you want to know anything about United States history, this is the first place you should go! If politics and heavy traffic isn't for you, then you probably shouldn't live here.

6. New York, New York

New York has so much to offer in terms of art, fashion, shopping, food, and United States history. To truly know if the big city feel is for you, check out New York! The people of New York lead a unique kind of lifestyle. Chicago is a manageable alternative, of course.

7. A mid-size to larger city, like the suburbs of Chicago or central Illinois.

These cities I picture as the happy mediums of getting a big city feel in some places of the city, but also running into someone you know everywhere you go. In these kinds of towns, there's plenty to do while also access to most places within half an hour, tops. This might be the happy medium you're looking for.

Hopefully after visiting these places you'll get a better idea of where you want to end up. In reality, there's so many more places that you could visit to really know where you want to settle. The more places you visit, the more you really start to solidify where your heart and home is at.