8 Of The Best Parts of Coming Home From College

8 Of The Best Things About Coming Home From College

You finally get to see your dog!

38

By the end of April, every college student is just ready to go home. We are tired of living in a dorm, eating at the caf, and having to get up and go to class. Although move out is stressful and long and makes you realize that you have way too much stuff that you do not need, the feeling once you finally get home is so nice. There are so many great things about being home that you did not realize before you went to college. Here are 8 of the best things about being home for the summer.

1. Free groceries.

media.giphy.com

Nothing screams "broke college kid" like being excited about free groceries. When you've spent the last 9 months eating cafeteria food that you're not even sure can be classified as "food," you'll be more than happy to see a stocked fridge. It's even better when you don't have to spend your own money to stock the fridge.

2. Seeing your pets.

media.giphy.com

Yeah, of course, you miss your parents while you're away, but you can call and text them all day, but you can't text your dog (imagine if you could though). Nothing is better than spending the first couple days home cuddled up on the couch with your dog or cat and flipping through horrible daytime television.

3. Sleeping in a real bed.

media.giphy.com

For anyone who has not slept in a dorm bed, I envy you. A dorm bed is a twin XL that is covered in a plastic wrap. You can cover that thing in mattress pads and sheets and blankets until it's 3 feet tall, but nothing will make that bed comfortable, or big enough for an adult human to sleep in. Coming home to see your full-sized human bed is so nice. Knowing that dozens of sweaty, drunk, college kids haven't slept in it is also nice.

4. Using your own bathroom.

media.giphy.com

I don't know what it is about college, but nothing is made for anyone over 5 foot 4, including the showers. Also, there is no privacy anywhere. If you were one of the unlucky ones who was stuck in communal bathrooms (like me), then you know the struggle of lugging all your stuff to and from the bathroom every time you have to shower. It is also annoying to have to wear shoes in the shower because Lord knows what has happened in there. It is also nice to be able to go to the bathroom in a non-public bathroom.

5. Getting to rediscover your hometown.

media.giphy.com

Most people that go far away for school don't have a huge love for their hometown, but being away from it for nine months can make you realize things about your hometown that you didn't before. Hometown restaurants and stores, and little spots can really make you realize how much you missed living at home.

6. Getting to hang out with your family.

media.giphy.com

Getting to see your family is really nice after not seeing them for a while. Getting to joke around with siblings or go shopping with your mom can really make you feel a lot better about being home.

7. Finally getting able to relax.

media.giphy.com

Being home means that finals are over and that you no longer have to worry about projects and papers and studying. Although you're more than likely getting a summer job, you probably have a few days or a week before you start working and those can be the best days. Just being able to lay down and watch hours of mindless TV or just scroll through Twitter for hours.

8. It allows you to miss your college friends.

media.giphy.com

College friends are very different from high school friends. Your high school friends you really only see 5 days a week and then sometimes after school or on the weekend. Your college friends you literally see every day of the week pretty much nonstop. So, when you don't get to see them for 3 months, you really start to miss them and everything you guys do together, and that makes you more excited to go back to school when that time comes about.

Being home can be really nice and can let you relax after stressing through college and finals. It can also make you realize how much you miss being in college and being around your college friends.